Hard wiring the puck lights

Old 11-25-09, 09:45 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard wiring the puck lights

Hi,

I would like to install xenon puck lights in my kitchen. The problem is that I don't have upper cabinets, all I have are the floating shelves. I want to hardwire the lights, so I will be using the junction boxes. What I am not sure about is how to make these junction boxes invisible - in other words, can I put tiles over them or they must be accessible?

Are there any other options to avoid running the wire across open areas of the wall?

Thanks,

griva

Old 11-25-09, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
All junction box are required to be accessible. You may not bury them. You also may not run any of the cord that comes with the puck lights in a wall unless they are rated for it. (most, if not all, cord is not.)

The only suggestions I can give you build a false bottom or install a valance on the self to help conceal the wires.
Or skip the puck lights and get a Xenon under cabinet fixture. They are much easier to wire and install and make look good.
Here is an example:

Old 11-25-09, 11:29 AM
G
Tolyn,

Thank you for your response.

I am afraid both the valance and any other under cabinet fixture that is not recessed will not look OK - I have shelves, not cabinets.

THis is what I am looking for -how did they do it? (I am sure the picture won't show up, but the link works)

Brownstoner | Forum: Kitchen shelving

Old 11-25-09, 07:51 PM
M
hollow shelves

the shelfs are either hollow
or have a channel routed into them to accomodate the wiring
as such, realistically you will be able to run 12 volt puck lighting
and not 120 volt based ones due to a lack of junctioning provision.
xenon run a bit cooler than halogen pucks, the transformer is then remotely located

Old 11-26-09, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Mike pretty much has it right. The shelf was designed and built for the puck lights to be concealed. That is the problem with articles and shows on TV. They show you the end result but not how to get there.
If this is the look you are trying to achieve, then I suggest building a hollow shelf. Then, using low voltage puck lights, place your transformer some place (like under your sink) and run a cable in the wall and come out inside the hallow shelf.

Old 11-27-09, 05:36 AM
G
one more question

Tolyn and Mike, thank you very much for your help.

I understand the idea of hollow shelves - and believe, me, I am not trying to be hard, but what do I do if I don't have one continuous shelf, but two - on both sides of the stove. I am trying to avoid using 2 separate sets of lights, plugged into 2 separate receptacles,and 2 transformers.

I will do it if there is no other options.

So my question is (before I give up the idea of hard wiring completely):
can the junction box be installed in the shelf? (These are think built in looking shelves)

Thanks!

Old 11-27-09, 10:00 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have done the Hollowed out shelves long before I knew the regs for LV wiring. The pucks just screw to the bottom of the shelves. The shelf is actually two shelves/boards sandwiched (glued )together. Paths for the wires are routed into at least one of the boards. Bit trickier but you can router a mirror patern in to the other. That gives more depth while keeping the cuts shallower in each board.

You must use wire suitable for in wall you. Higher the temp rating the better. Pros can advise on type of wire if this method is OK. As earlier stated it must be low voltage only.
but what do I do if I don't have one continuous shelf, but two - on both sides of the stove.
Use a switch box with a blank cover plate at the end of each shelf. The cover can be painted to match the wall. Run the box horizontal instead of vertical so the cover just touches the top of the shelf. You wiring comes out the back edge of the shelf into the bottom of the box. The boxes are connected in the wall with #14* Romex. For safety I would include a automotive fuses holder in each junction box for the buried wiring in each shelf. DC power from the transformer would run to one of the boxes again using Romex*.

*Size of Romex dependent on distance and amperage. Manufacturer should have a chart.

I know you have the shelves but making new may be easiest. I actually used two thinner melamine covered shelves and glued them together.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-27-09 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-28-09, 05:05 AM
G
Ray, I will run the gem boxes horisontally behind each shelf (the reason being is that the wall is tiled, so I can't really paint covers - I need to hide them as much as possible) Everything else - like you said. Does it sound like a good idea? Thanks!

Old 11-28-09, 08:25 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
In medium voltage work the Gem boxes must remain accessible. Having a shelf in front might be considered inaccessible. You though are installing low voltage and if the shelf is easily removable that might be considered OK. I donít know. Maybe the pros can answer that.

Old 11-28-09, 08:19 PM
G
It is easily removable.

It looks like I will either have to see the wire (non hard wired installation) or my tiled wall will have box covers here and there.

I am ready to give up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: