Ceiling Fan/Light Fixture Not Working

Old 12-09-09, 11:01 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan/Light Fixture Not Working

Hi,

All of a sudden, my family room ceiling fan and light fixture stopped working. Now, a day later, while the light bulb gives off a very faint glow, the fan still does not work at all. Any ideas on what happened? Anythign I can try and fix? I'm pretty handy with electrical wiring, having done a lot of things that are technically required of a professional.

Here are some facts:

* Fixture is at least 10 years old (when we bought home), and the house is 22 years old.
* The fan has rarely been used by us over the 10 years.
* Over the weekend I replaced the light bulb because my son tossed upwards a stuffed animal and broke it off the base.
* I screwed in a 75-watt regular bulb even though the fixture states 60-watt maximum...I know, I know, but I didn't have any 60-watt bulbs available : (
* I noticed the previous bulb was also 75-watt, but the new one seemed to provide a much, much stronger light.
* Everything else on the circuit works fine, including the hungry large-screen plasma TV.
* The light worked as expected for two days (lots of use) and then it just stopped working. Not sure if it stopped while it was on or not, however. Immediately after, it would not light at all. Now, it turns on, but the glow is extremely faint.
* The fan part does not work at all.

Any ideas? I just haven't looked inside the fixture yet only because it is way up in the air, so not too convenient. At first I thought maybe a motor blew, but what does that have to do with the light?

Thank you...

Al

Old 12-09-09, 11:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
You might have developed a very marginal connection in the circuit. This may turn into an easter egg hunt. I would check the connections under the canopy.

You may also need to check connections at the receptacles or switches. This would depend on how the circuit wiring is run.

Old 12-09-09, 11:17 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Open up the switch and look for loose connections. If you have a dimer switch replace with a regular switch and see if every thing works. If the switch is back stabbed move the wires to the screws. If it isn't the switch you will need to drop the fan and check there. If it isn't there you will need to check the receptacles on the circuit. Move any back stabbed wire connections to the screws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: