Lighting problems

Old 12-12-09, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lighting problems

I am replacing a fluorescent light in my kitchen with a standard lightbulb light. There are two black wires, two white wires and a copper wire. I wired the black from the new light to the two blacks and the white from the new light to the two whites and connected the coppers. When I attempt to flip the breaker however it immediately pops the breaker. Any ideas on what I am messing up?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-09, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
The new fixture should have connected to the same wires as the old fixture. If you changed any splices that did not go the the fixture you need to change them back.

Old 12-12-09, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I tried wiring it the way the old fluorescent light was wired and it kept popping the breaker. My new light has 3 lights with 40w bulbs in it. I tried wiring two of the 40w lights to one black wire and 1 to the other. when I did that, the breaker didn't pop, but only the one light came on and the switch wouldn't turn it off. It just stayed on. I went back and looked at the fluorescent light and saw that it had two small ballasts and was running two 20w lights. My breaker is a 20. Will I be able to run these new lights?

Old 12-13-09, 07:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
How many and what color are the wires connected to the switch and in the switch box?

If you connected it exactly the same it should have worked.

Do you have 90 degree insulated wire if your fixture calls for it? Anything prior to 1984 will not be 90 degree rated.