Help

Old 12-15-09, 02:17 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help

Okay this is my situation.

I have 2 switches on the wall in my bedroom. They were used for an old ceiling fan that was installed. One of the switches worked the light and the other worked the fan.

I have since replaced that fan with a new one and had it wired properly. This is my question.

I want to install some recessed lights and I am not sure how to wire them give my situation.

I have 4 wires coming out of the ceiling fixture. Black, White, Red and Ground. I had the celiing fan wired in in the following manner and it worked fine: Black to Black, White to White and Green to Ground. I capped the Red wire.

My wall switched are wired as follows:

Switch one : Black Wire from Switch 2 and Black wire going to ceilling fixture.

Switch two. Black Wire from Fuse Box and Black wire going to Switch 1 at top of switch and Red wire going to ceiling fan at bottom of switch.

Okay, so switch one worked my fan. Which seems right to me since I had the black wire hooked up to the fan.

So, How do I get switch 2 with the red wire to work my recessed lights?

I think that I should do the following. Please let me know if I am incorrect.

Red to Black on Recessed Light.
Connect another White Wire from ceiling box and run to to the White wire of Recessed light.
Connect another Ground wire from Ceiling box and run it to the ground of the recessed light.

I know how to wire the remaining recessed lights but I need some help getting the first one wired properly.

Am I on the right track.

Thanks

Old 12-15-09, 02:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Red to Black on Recessed Light.
Connect another White Wire from ceiling box and run to to the White wire of Recessed light.
Connect another Ground wire from Ceiling box and run it to the ground of the recessed light.
Your connections are correct. You seem to indicate individual wires. If you are using conduit that would be correct otherwise use NM-b. #12 for a 20a breaker. #14 for a 15a beaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: