what gauge wire?

Old 12-22-09, 09:04 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what gauge wire?

Hi All. New guy here.

I am installing a bathroom fan/light/heater combo.
It is a nutone 665rp. It requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
I installed a 20 amp circuit breaker and ran 12 gage wire from the breaker box to the 3 way switch that will control the fan combo.
From the switch i have to run seperate wires for the vent/light/heater. Is it okay to use 14 gage wire from the switch to the fan combo? Or do I still need to use 12 gage for this?

Thank you.
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-09, 09:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No you must use #12. Becaus

Last edited by ray2047; 12-22-09 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 12:02 AM
I
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
No you must use #12. Becaus
After some more reading is seems that running a 20 amp circuit breaker means that all connections must use a 12 gage wire. Is that correct?

Old 12-23-09, 12:04 AM
F
Just want to make it clear in here senice you mention #12 AWG (4.0mm˛) conductors you must use the #12(4.0mm˛) conductor with 20 amp circuits if you have #14 (2.5mm˛) conductor then you are restricted to only 15 amp circuits.

Merci,
Marc

Old 12-23-09, 12:05 AM
F
Originally Posted by iitywygms View Post
After some more reading is seems that running a 20 amp circuit breaker means that all connections must use a 12 gage wire. Is that correct?

Yes it is correct.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-23-09, 12:14 AM
I
Thanks to all. I just joined this forum and I can tell it is full of very useful info and good people.

Old 12-23-09, 12:23 AM
F
Sure we are more than gald to help you in here if you have any other question just holler one of us will help you due most member in here in this section is Electrician by triade but we do have very good DIY members whom they do understand the system so they will chime in here as well.

Myself I am master Electrician in both Wisconsin and Paris France.

And hope you will enjoying the forum

Merci.
Marc

Old 12-24-09, 10:46 AM
I
One more quick question.
The bathroom only has 1 outlet, not gfci and 1 light fixture containing 3 60 watt bulbs, all on a 15 amp circuit.
I am considering pulling that 15 amp circuit to use in another part of the house.
Will I be okay wiring the 1 outlet (replaced with a gfci unit) and the 1 light fixture into the new 20 amp circuit that I am installing. Of course I will use #12 wire.

Only reason I ask is that the bathroom fan directions say it requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Old 12-24-09, 11:28 AM
While your installation is grandfathered I would suggest you do as planned but replace the 15a circuit with a second 20a circuit. The reason is you have a heater on the other circuit. The heater on that circuit along with a light and fan uses most of the capacity. A hairdryer on the receptacle would in some cases exceed the capacity of a single circuit so you really need the second circuit just for the receptacle.

Wiring the fan/light/heat combo it is best to do as you have suggested run the power to the switch first then to the combo. You have multiple ways to do that. You could run three 12-2 Romex from switch to combo or one 12-2 and one 12-3 or hard to find 12-4 Romex but you have very little room at the the combo junction box so best might be to run Smurf (flexible ENT conduit) with 5 #12 stranded THHN wires. Smurf is almost as easy to run as Romex and stranded wires are easier to work with then solid. You would need one white wire, one green wire, and three other wires not white or green. Black, red, blue is one color combination you could use for the other three.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-24-09 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 12:06 PM
I
Seems kind of overkill to run one 20 amp circuit for a single outlet and one light fixture. But I understand. Doing so would bring the bathroom to current code.
Question, can branch off the new second 20 amp circuit going to the bathroom and use it elsewhere? Without breaking code?

Yeah, my home was built in 1978 so the wiring is a bit dated.
The whole house is wired with 14-2 and 15 amp circuits. Except for the one 220 going to the garage.
I may add more wiring in the future for lights and such.
Is there any down side to just using 12-2 and 20 amp circuits for everything? Other than expense.

Old 12-24-09, 12:31 PM
Question, can branch off the new second 20 amp circuit going to the bathroom and use it elsewhere? Without breaking code?
You can use it only in another bathroom.

Old 12-24-09, 01:37 PM
F
Originally Posted by iitywygms View Post
Seems kind of overkill to run one 20 amp circuit for a single outlet and one light fixture. But I understand. Doing so would bring the bathroom to current code.

Yeah, my home was built in 1978 so the wiring is a bit dated.
The whole house is wired with 14-2 and 15 amp circuits. Except for the one 220 going to the garage.
I may add more wiring in the future for lights and such.
Is there any down side to just using 12-2 and 20 amp circuits for everything? Other than expense.

To answer your first question that bathroom circuit can share with only other bathroom circuit however if you go that route a nice gotcha that it will only serve the GFCI receptales no lights or fan at all.

To answer your second question not everything you can run on 14-2 however in Kitchen It must have 20 amp circuit { the code required minuim of 2 circuits you can have more anyway }
Laundry room it must have 20 amp circuits { this one you can NOT feed to other receptales outside of the laundry room at all }
Garage it kinda toss up between 15 and 20 amp circuits IMO I rather wired with 20 amp circuits { this part you have to be carefull if this is attached or detached garage that will make the diffrence how you run the circuits in the garage }

However you have to check with the local codes due they are some change along the way one part I do know many area required AFCI now the 05 required in Bedroom only while the 08 cover just about everything expect where the GFCI is on allready.

Merci,Marc