Switch is off, but light flickers.

Old 01-04-10, 03:46 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch is off, but light flickers.

I have a two way switched light in the hall which when switched off, has an intermitant flicker. The light is one of the new compact flouro energy saver types. The flicker is a very quick on/off which is obvious at night, but can still be seen during the day. There is a high induced voltage on the off side of the strapper cable. Does this make a light flicker? How can I fix it?
Thanks for any help.

Old 01-04-10, 04:31 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Hang in there a bit. This is mostly a North American board but Marc is pretty good on international things. A bit early in Paris for him but he should be here later.

Most likely cause though is a dimmer on the circuit. Next suspect would be a two wire timer. CFLs just don't work with them well unless they are specially designed.

Old 01-04-10, 07:45 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kpfitzner
I have a two way switched light in the hall which when switched off, has an intermitant flicker. The light is one of the new compact flouro energy saver types. The flicker is a very quick on/off which is obvious at night, but can still be seen during the day. There is a high induced voltage on the off side of the strapper cable. Does this make a light flicker? How can I fix it?
Thanks for any help.

Thanks Ray.,

The key issue is you have lighted switch handle that cause the CFL to go wonky.

So one way you can do is change to standard two point switch that usually solve the issue.

The reason why lighted switch handle do have neon or led or other source and the normal incandescent bulb act like shunt so it not affect the operation however with electronic ballast like most CFL it will created a capacitor charge to make the light flicker.

Try that and see if that clear up

Merci,Marc

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 01-05-10 at 05:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-10, 01:07 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your help, I will try replacing the switches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: