fluorescent fixture makes a 'meep' sound upon turning on? normal?

Old 01-24-10, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fluorescent fixture makes a 'meep' sound upon turning on? normal?

Hi

Just moved into a new house a few months ago. Home is 6 years old and in the finished basement is a fluorescent fixture with four, 4 foot fluorescent tubes. I just noticed today that when I turn it on at the switch, there is a quick little "meep" sound (its a beep, but sounds like "meep") as the lights go on - and it is pretty soft and barely audible. Lights work fine, no flickering. The fixtures hums like other fluorescent fixtures I am used to....

Is this "meep" sound normal ? Or is it the beginning of a ballast failure ? any clues?

PS - it doesnt happen every time I turn it on - but most times....

thanks in advance for your time

Dan

Last edited by dc196813; 01-24-10 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-10, 10:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I hate it when electricians trap mice in the fluorescent fixtures. He's probably hungry. JK
Fluorescents like to be grounded. Ensure the grounding wire is attached to the fixture via the green screw provided, and trace it down to the switch. Make the grounding connection there, as it quite often just stuffed in the box (don't ask why). Once the grounding is complete, it should take some of the hum out.
As far as the meep, sound, unless it bothers you or unless the lights are failing, I don't have an idea.

Old 02-03-10, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it might just be the starter for that light going, i'd let it be until something happens like it dies