!#$&! Fluorescent Light Fixture

Old 01-25-10, 07:07 PM
!#$&! Fluorescent Light Fixture

I have a 2 tube F Fixture in my Maryland garage. I thought I had a bad ballast. Before I replaced ballast, the problem got progressively worse, initially both bulbs were slow to start then eventually they would never start. So, I assumed I needed new ballast and replaced it. Now 1 tube will work in one side only. 2nd tube won't work in either side, and good tube won't work in bad side.

The bad side: 2 red wires from new ballast one one end. Then on other end the 2 yellow wires from ballast feed in, and then 2 black wires extend from this end to the other side.

The good side: 2 blues wires from ballast on one end, and 2 black wires from other tube end.

Only think I can think to try is to switch red ballast 1 to red light 2, and red ballast 2 to red light 1.

I checked things with a voltage tester. I check all 8 pin clips sides to the ground screws and all 8 produced a light.

New ballast is almost identical to old one. It's even the same brand. Mark III Energy Saver RS240-1-TP, Class P type 1 outdoor, 120 volts.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can share.

I also have problems with other screw in fluorescent bulbs on this circuit. They same to die faster than they should.

I've heard I should check all the grounds on this circuit, but haven't done it yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-10, 08:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may have answered your own question. Check the grounding not only at the fixtures, but at the switches as well.

Old 01-26-10, 04:19 PM
For the screw in lamps, I have found that the store brands do not last as well as name brands, GE & Sylvania. I won't buy a store brand again. Not sure if that helps.

Old 03-23-10, 09:22 AM
Still haven't figured this out yet. To isolate the problem, I tried attaching the same light to a different circuit that I know is properly grounded. On this circuit, I could get one tube to work (blue side), but still couldn't get the red side to work. I double checked the connections, and can't find anything wrong.

I'm going to try exchanging the ballast, but don't have much hope.

If 1 tube lights and the other doesn't, does that rule out problems with the ground and the circuit?

If 1 tube lights and the other doesn't, does it mean the problem must be in the ballast or the light fixture?

Old 03-23-10, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try to look at the wiring diagram on the ballast and see if it matches how the sockets are currently wired.

Old 03-23-10, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also check the connection of the wires at the tombstones. I have them come loose all the time. They are just held in with tension spring type connectors, which aren't the best in the world.

Old 03-23-10, 07:17 PM
IF you can return the ballast, you can get a new strip fluorescent fixture with an electronic ballast for not much more than the price of a ballast, maybe less since you bought an outdoor ballast. The new electronic ballasts will start a typical T8 lamp down to 0 degrees F and are instant on.