cabinet undermount lighting vs tile backsplah

Old 02-21-10, 07:56 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question cabinet undermount lighting vs tile backsplah

I am trying to move a tile backsplash project along, but my wife & I decided we want undermount cabinet lighting installed. I plan to bring in electrician for that job...Question: If i install my tile backsplash based on existing recepticles, can electrician still do the work necessary at a later date? They would have to cut some of the tile to install double box for dimmer switch - is this something electricians do regularly or should I just hold off backsplash until electical is complete? Lastly - any idea co$t of bringing in electrician for that type to work?

Old 02-21-10, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You would be much better off deciding what lights you want and how they need to be mounted..then have that work done before doing the tile.

If he drills a hole and cracks the tile..now what? Plus any extra work like that will cost more IF you can find someone to do it.

At the very least I would leave those areas where electrical work will need to be done open..then go back and fill it in. Make sure you aren't locating something where its convenient or desired but happens to be directly over a stud or other blockage.

JMO

Old 02-22-10, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I agree with Vic, get the wiring installed first, then install the backsplash. That way if wires need to be run the backsplash does not need to be removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: