Recessed Lighting layout

Old 02-22-10, 07:41 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lighting layout

Hi Guys I need some help with a layout of my recessed lighting. I have enclosed a picture of what i was thinking about, but i am not sure its the correct layout for the room. I was going to use 4" cans with 50watt light bulbs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46387830@N06/4379218246/

Last edited by rcantor; 02-22-10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-22-10, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
IMO 4" recessed are more for an accent type of lighting instead of trying to light the room. The beam spread on the 4" PAR 20 bulb is not very wide, especially when mounted in a low ceiling like a basement typically has.

I would install a 6" recessed with a PAR 30 bulb. The beam spread is greater so the lighting is more even. You should also be able to get by with fewer fixtures too. A rough guideline is the circle of light is approximately equal to the distance from the ceiling to the work surface or floor. In a basement you could probably try 6-8' centers between fixtures.

Old 02-22-10, 09:49 AM
R
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
IMO 4" recessed are more for an accent type of lighting instead of trying to light the room. The beam spread on the 4" PAR 20 bulb is not very wide, especially when mounted in a low ceiling like a basement typically has.
I would use a 6" but was told that aesthetically the 4" light would look much nicer, not as big of a hole in low ceiling. Is this incorrect?

Any other thoughts out there?

Old 02-22-10, 10:23 AM
E
Originally Posted by rcantor View Post
I would use a 6" but was told that aesthetically the 4" light would look much nicer, not as big of a hole in low ceiling. Is this incorrect?

Any other thoughts out there?
that may be one way to look at it, but IMO i would rather see less lights than more. Just a thought. You would need 8+ 4" cans to get the same light as 4-6 6" cans. If you want something that looks a little cleaner go with a 5" can.

Old 02-22-10, 10:28 AM
R
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ View Post
that may be one way to look at it, but IMO i would rather see less lights than more. Just a thought. You would need 8+ 4" cans to get the same light as 4-6 6" cans. If you want something that looks a little cleaner go with a 5" can.
So if I do go with the 6" cans would you position a can in the center of the room with two cans on either side about 6 inches apart? and do 2 rows of this?

Old 02-22-10, 09:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
You might want to compare the cost of the 4" vs the 6". The 4"s run 2-3 x's the cost of the 6".

Old 02-22-10, 10:02 PM
E
Originally Posted by rcantor View Post
So if I do go with the 6" cans would you position a can in the center of the room with two cans on either side about 6 inches apart? and do 2 rows of this?
If you look at your drawing, number your lites 1-4 from left to right. In both rows put a 6" can between lites 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and 3 and 4. do that for both rows and you have 2 rows of evenly spaced 6" cans

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: