Fan attached to box ears?

Old 03-01-10, 10:43 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan attached to box ears?

Hi all, this is my first post here.

Here is the situation: I have a metal non-fan-rated electrical box that I secured to the beams in my ceiling. I attached the box to the frame of the house, so the box is not going anywhere. I am just worried because the fan is attached to the electrical box ears, rather than the heavy-duty threads that you see in fan-rated boxes.

What do you think? Am I okay with a not-so-heavy fan attached to the box ears on a heavy-duty looking metal electrical box? The fan does not wobble or move or anything.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Eric

Old 03-01-10, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should install a box rated for use with a fan. The weight of the fan is not such a factor compared to the fact that it moves. And that is a huge factor.
If it's solid now, that will change over time.
How do I know? I've done it.

Wanna see the thread I got busted in?
http://forum.doityourself.com/lighti...een-beams.html
The answer I posted refers to a ceiling fan I had put up in my living room when I first bought my house.
After the next two responses I went in the living room and turned on the fan. It is in fact loose at the electrical box that I used. Turns out it is a regular electrical box and not the required fan rated box! This thing used to be steady as a rock.

Last edited by mickblock; 03-01-10 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
The box does not need to be fan-rated if it is not the sole support for the fan. Can you use long screws and attach the bracket to framing lumber behind the box?

You can also purchase old work fan-rated boxes for old work applications.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: