Basement: How much room needed around electrical box?

Old 03-08-10, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement: How much room needed around electrical box?

I have an electrical box screwed to a piece of OSB, which itself is screwed into my basement wall. I plan on having this in a finished room. I envision having it behind a large cabinet-style door. My question is: how much room around the panel is necessary? When I open that cabinet door, in addition to the entire metal structure itself, how many inches to either side do I need?

Finally, is it legal to build this in a closet? I have searched on this but I found a ton of varying opinions. It seems a very simple question but people were all back and forth on it!

Thanks!

EDIT: This *almost* answers my question: http://www.nachi.org/forum/f19/clear...l-panel-24428/

It's very relevant, but let's say that we had a super long, high wall with the panel in the middle. My question is more along the lines of how long the cabinet door would have to be for the panel itself. Should I make it 30" wide to be safe and have its opening simply centered on my metal panel? That would mean that when it's opened there is quite a bit of OSB hanging around and it seems it would be a bit oversize (read: ugly).

There's the panel. I have foam all the way up to that wall save the last two feet.

Last edited by Skoorb; 03-08-10 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-10, 03:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
There is a good explaination in this thread.

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...lp-needed.html

Follow up with any other questions.