Replacing fluorescent under cabinet lighting. Any recommendations.

Old 03-18-10, 05:39 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing fluorescent under cabinet lighting. Any recommendations.

We've replaced the kitchen countertops with granite and I would like to replace the 25 year old hardwired 36" under cabinet lights. I have 4 (counting the one above the cooktop). In looking at the options, I see xenon, LED, halogen, and the old standby, flourescent. From what I know about halogen, I suspect it would be too hot and bright. Does anyone have any suggestions. The new lights do not need to be 36" long, but because I have hardwires for each light, putting up a bar with the lights built into it seems the most logical to me.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 03-22-10, 08:34 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Under-cabinet lighting tips

Hi Sam! You're right, halogen probably gives off too much heat for under-cabinet lighting. Unless you want to be extra careful about keeping food away from the lights, you should probably rule out halogen.

Xenon lighting operates at lower temperatures than halogens yet is comparably efficient and affordable. Also (and this is an important difference to many homeowners), xenon lighting is dimmable. While it’s important to have adequate task lighting for cooking, the dimmable functionality allows under cabinet lighting to serve as mood lighting as well, or to keep on as a night light in the kitchen.

Fluorescent lights are a bit more energy efficient than xenon and their quality of light/color rendering has improved significantly in recent years. However, fluorescent lights have no dimming capabilities.

LED lighting is, of course, the most efficient of all, lasting 10 to 20 years. They are slightly more expensive than the other options but energy savings will quickly make up for upfront costs. LEDs, unlike all other light sources, do not give off UV rays, which are known to decrease nutrient levels in foods. LEDs are also considered to be most similar to sunlight. The only disadvantage with LEDs is that they aren’t as dimmable as xenon lights. Most models do have two levels of brightness, but dimmers are not compatible with them.

After you decide on your light source, here's a place to check out under-cabinet lighting: ******NO ADS.com********
There's a large selection of light bars to replace your old ones.

Hopefully that helps. They're all good options, it really just depends what you're looking for.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 03-24-10 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not allowed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: