Portable air conditioners?

Old 03-30-10, 05:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Portable air conditioners?

Would it be better to get a portable air conditioner than a simple tower fan for example. I am now looking at this Buy Good Air Conditioner: portable, split, window, tools, heater, filter: Portable Air Conditioner: 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner - Koldfront it has the best recommendations from users nut i am not sure for example how does it exhaust the water vapor and does it need a window opening or something for an exhaust pipe?
Does somebody know something more?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-10, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A fan just moves air around. It does not cool. The price on the fan you linked to is good but be aware it is only for cooling one large room or maybe two small ones if well insulated. Hot air is exhausted through a hose that goes in a window. Typically the hose is the same size as normally used for a dryer exhaust.

Old 03-30-10, 12:25 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
As Ray stated a fan won't do any cooling, it just seems cooler because it causes your sweat to evaporate quicker IF the relative humidity is low.

Portable air conditioners are just like window mount units except they have at least one flexible duct that needs to be routed out through a window. The better units have two ducts, one for incoming and the other for exhaust. Just like a window unit it moves the heat from the room to the outside.

Single duct units will exhaust a part of the room air along with the machine's cooling air and this air needs to be "made up" by outside air leaking into the room from cracks and leaks to the outside. This means that a portion of the cooled air is immediately being replaced by outside air. With a two-duct model all the cooling air for the machine comes from outside and none of the cooled air for the room is lost. Not only does this make the machine more efficacious in cooling the room it also lowers the humidity better and can help in keeping the room air cleaner. The humidity that is removed from the room air is exhausted with the machine's cooling air and therefore it is almost never required to manually drain water from the unit.

I have had a two-duct portable air conditioner for several years, I would not have a single-duct model.