CFL won't turn on...

Old 04-01-10, 05:50 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CFL won't turn on...

I've installed a new Nutone/Broan bathroom ceiling fixture. Fan, nightlight and 42W 4-pin CFL. The fan works, the nightlight works and for awhile, anyway, the main light worked. When we came back from vacation the light would come on for 3 seconds and shut off. Not to turn on again for several hours, for a few seconds, again. Now nothing at all. I replaced the electronic ballast with a new one. Still no lamp. I do have 124V to the ballast plug that powers up and down with the switch.

I must say I haven't replaced the bulb as I couldn't imagine a bad bulb as it's very new. I suppose my question is... Am I overlooking anything? If it's not the bulb could it be anything else? Seems pretty straightforward to me. Is it possible to check the output of the ballast? My tester gets nothing right now. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks- Petroffski

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-10, 07:36 PM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
I am guessing you have a lamp problem. The newer electronic ballasts are pretty smart. I have seen some electronic ballasts that sense a bad lamp and shut down to keep the ballast from being damaged from the non-functional lamp. Once you change the lamp with a new one, you may have to turn off the power to the fixture for up to 5 minutes to reset the ballast before the lamp will turn on again. BTW, who is the manufacturer of the ballast? You might check the manufactuer's website to see if there is some peculiarity about how the ballast operates. The coming on for 3 seconds and then going off might be listed in a troubleshooting guide to indicate a particular problem.

Old 04-01-10, 07:44 PM
P
I've ordered a new bulb (live in a town that has no such bulb in stock) so I guess I'll find out when it arrives. I'm a little worried that I'm chasing my tail with this thing. From your post do I read you correctly in saying that the ballast can get damaged with bad bulb? No bulb? It's a Robertson ballast by the way. I can't find much on their website. Not user friendly. I'll check again however.

Old 04-02-10, 08:55 PM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
Yes, some ballasts can't tolerate a bad bulb and shut themselves down. You mentioned this was a new fixture. Who did you buy it from? Have you asked them what you should do with it yet? Since it's new, it's warranted.

Old 04-02-10, 10:22 PM
P
It is new because it's unused. I bought it a year ago and just got around to installing it fairly recently. It is out of warranty. My bad for sure. Who would have guessed that something this simple would be defective.

When you said some ballasts shut themselves down, is this a permanent "shut down" or until it gets a new bulb?

Old 04-03-10, 01:36 AM
F
Until new bulb and power is off for few minutes then turn it back on the electronique ballast will sense it and turn it back on.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-03-10, 02:35 PM
P
When the new bulb shows up in a week or so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help all!

Petroffski