sloped ceiling recessed light?

Old 04-12-10, 06:58 PM
sloped ceiling recessed light?

I need lighting on steps to my basement. the light has to either go on the slope underneath the steps above, or be a sconce on the wall. I want it to be recessed underneath the steps above but having problem finding anything that will work. I have used HALO sloped ceiling cans (H47ICAT) elsewhere, but they are much too big. the H47T look smaller, but both of these cans only work from 2/12 to 6/12 pitch (9.5 degrees to 26.6 degrees from level by my calculations) my craftsman level tells me the slope under my steps is 41.5 degrees from level. so they won't work. an eyeball trim is only good for 30 degrees so as you started down steps it would be pointing in your face. any options for recessed can here or am I stuck with a wall sconce? or I guess another option is to put box flush with where drywall will be and then surface mount fixture on a slope? any ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-10, 08:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 7
I typically see and install a surface mount fixture over the landing near the top and bottom of the steps. I do not thiink you will find a recessed that will fit under the steps.

I don't think sconces work too well in a stairway, especially if you need to carry large objects on the stairs.

Old 04-13-10, 09:10 AM
good point about carrying things down steps. but this stairway is a little unusual. Most stairs to basement that I have seen have a door at top of steps. this one will not. the door will be at bottom. wife wanted it more open. here is pic

so the steps I want to light are the ones going down. I put in step lights (I think you can see the first one at bottom right of picture) and I have a recessed light on the underside of the landing for the upper staircase (to light the landing for the staircase to basement). There is no landing that I can put in light to light the stairs going down. any light put in up high there will be in my family room area and probably will look silly. i thought about putting a recessed in this area (in photo to right of the white/oak stairway that goes to top of photo) but there is a joist right in the center where the light would go. And like I said, a surface mount would probably look out of place here. any more thoughts? a shallow 6" halo remodel can would work, except the eyeball only goes to 30 degrees-so close. maybe I should call halo and see if they have anything that would work?

Old 04-13-10, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
IMO, the stair lights would be enough light going down.

I doubt you will find a can that will fit in that space unless you soffit it down a bit.

How about a standard surface mounted light?

Old 04-13-10, 09:27 PM
I have R27ICAT (6" shallow remodel HALO can) that would fit, but like I said, there isn't trim that will work at that angle of about 40degrees. eyeball only good for 30. so I could mount it level, but that would require some framing and might not look so good--either keep drywall flush and "indent" it on inside (in which case the light may be blocked and not illuminate the steps well) or you box it out from plane of drywall ( THis wouldn't look good )

surface mount fixture is option. I don't know if I like it horizontal though since it is then in family room. you could mount it on the slope underneath the steps and then what kind of fixture would you put there on that slope?

for me the step lights probably enough. but for my 96y/o grandmother? not that she visits much I guess but also logistic issue. I wanted more light on the 1/2 way landing and need more light at the bottom right before you open door. recessed cans worked nicely in those locations. so I switched those at bottom and top. but then it just seemed like if I had switch at top, I should have more light on the 1st portion of the steps?

just looked again and was thinking maybe replace the can on the mid stair landing with a surface mount? i think it will light whole uppper staircase. like a half circle dome type. as far as sconce-I was going to put it to left of the piece of paper but way up high. and it was going to be small. not sure it would really be in the way. I am 6'2" and didn't seem to really be in the way, but it is hard to know for sure unless I had the exact fixture I guess.

Last edited by hammerash; 04-13-10 at 10:25 PM. Reason: looked again
Old 04-14-10, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
Originally Posted by hammerash View Post
just looked again and was thinking maybe replace the can on the mid stair landing with a surface mount? i think it will light whole uppper staircase. like a half circle dome type. as far as sconce-I was going to put it to left of the piece of paper but way up high. and it was going to be small. not sure it would really be in the way. I am 6'2" and didn't seem to really be in the way, but it is hard to know for sure unless I had the exact fixture I guess.
This sounds like a good plan. Surface mount on the landing will give much more light up and down. I have also installed sconces high like you describe and they have not been in the way.