"Retrofit" recessed light cans for thick plaster ceilings?

Old 04-14-10, 03:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Retrofit" recessed light cans for thick plaster ceilings?

I see this has come up a few times in past posts, but I've yet to find a definitive answer.

I'm looking for "retrofit" style can to install in one lath and plaster ceiling, which I imagine will be around an inch + in thickness, and also in a double ceiling that is plaster covered by drywall.

Halo's spec sheet says their cans are good for 1/2" and 5/8" drywall. I've got a Commercial Electric unit here from Home Depot that appears to be the same based on a test install into a ceiling panel; its spec sheet doesn't state one way or the other.

Any ideas who makes what that might work for my needs?

Worst case scenario, I bet I can rig something using long screws and anti-rotation tabs, much like a drywall anchor, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-10, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
I have installed remodel cans in pretty thick stuff before but over 1 1/4" might be pushing it. Maybe make a mock up and try and see if it can be done. Those tabs are pretty springy.

Old 04-14-10, 10:01 PM
Do you have a favorite brand? The Commercial Electric I bought to play with looks and works OK once in place, but didn't wow me with its fit and finish while installing and adjusting.

Old 04-15-10, 06:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
Look at the Progress P187 housings. They do not use spring tabs, but a bar that sits above the finish ceiling. The slot allows for thick finish material, probably over 2".

Old 04-15-10, 08:03 AM
Awesomeness! Thanks a bunch. Their website is kind of kludgy, but they appear to have exactly what I'm looking for, with a stated fit range of 1/2" to 1-1/2".

Here's a link and a photo.

Progress Lighting -- ProductsRecessed-Housing -- -- P832-TG