recessed lights in kitchen

Old 04-17-10, 09:16 AM
recessed lights in kitchen

i want to install recessed lights in kitchen of our house. it is a ranch with about 6+ inches of insulation in the attic. home depot has an ic rated can, remodel style that claims can go into insulated attic. at a lighting supply store their fixture claim install up to 2 inches of insulation(litalear). their claim is i need to use new construction style, which would require me to do the work from up above. any suggestions?

chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-10, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
The people at the lighting store are on crack! Or the can manufacture that they carry (litalear?) has that requirement on their cans.

The ones found at the big box stores (big orange or blue) all carry IC rated remodel cans. They also have airtight IC rated remodel cans which is required in some areas and might be a good idea anyway to reduce air leakage. The brands I have used are Halo and commercial electric.

Old 04-17-10, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 7
If you are installing 5 or 6" recessed you should be able to find and install IC rated remodel cans. If you want 4" cans you will need to use new work. I don't know of any IC rated 4" remodel housings.

Old 04-17-10, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
That's a good point PC! I thought the OP had mentioned 6" but that was the insulation depth. I have never seen a 4" IC rated remodel can. 6" are widely available.

Old 04-18-10, 12:02 AM
The 5 or 6 inch IC cans are common in both new construction and remodel verison and yeah there are couple of them are low profile verison { the gotcha is it have limited numbers of trims you can use }

However for 4 inch cans yeah new construction I have see it in IC verison but remodel verison .,, not really unless it is special order.

Merci,Marc