Installing second flood light

Old 04-21-10, 08:18 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing second flood light

Right now I have a single flood light installed on a switch. I flip the swith and the light comes on. So what I want to do is install a second light and use the same switch. So from my understanding I would hang the light outside and there should be two wires, a black and white one. I could then run this and connect it at the same place the other one is connected black to black and white to white and when the switch is flipped, both lights should come on?

Thanks.

Last edited by mynewhome09; 04-21-10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-21-10, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Your understanding is correct. You should also have a green or bare grounding wire that would need to be spliced to the existing ground.

Old 04-21-10, 09:38 AM
M
When I looked at the other light I did not see it was grounded or could it be grounded elsewhere to some type of metal? Or do you mean the ground wire in the wire it is connected to has to be grounded? Do I need to worry about overloading the switch it is hooked up to. The light already there has a place for two bulbs, but only is using one. I think this may be due to it putting out too much light.

Old 04-21-10, 01:17 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If they are 150 watt bulbs (or less), your wall switch should be able to handle them without problem.

Old 04-21-10, 02:36 PM
M
Is there any type of special wiring I need to use. I mean what is there is the 14 gauge, am I safe to use this same size? Also the wiring will be in the garage and away from water, so do I need to get outside, inside, or outside/inside, etc?

Thanks.

Old 04-21-10, 04:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
NM-b (AKA Romex) is ok so long as all cable is run inside. #14 may be used if the breaker is 15a. A 20a breaker would require a minimum of #12.

Old 04-21-10, 05:37 PM
M
I took a look at the wiring for the current light. I see the black and white wires hooked up. The ground wire does not appear to be connected by the light as the bare wire is just bent away and not connected at all. So when I do the other one do I need to hook up the ground or not?

Old 04-21-10, 06:01 PM
You need to connect the ground of the existing cable to the new cable. If the box is metal you need to add a pigtail to the box. The pigtail would go to a ground screw in a tapped hole. If no tapped hole, a hole can be drilled and a self tapping machine screw used. A self drilling sheet metal screw can not be used.

Old 04-22-10, 06:47 AM
M
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You need to connect the ground of the existing cable to the new cable. If the box is metal you need to add a pigtail to the box. The pigtail would go to a ground screw in a tapped hole. If no tapped hole, a hole can be drilled and a self tapping machine screw used. A self drilling sheet metal screw can not be used.
Since I see that the ground for the existing light is not connected by the light, does that mean it is grounded on the other end of the light to where it connects around the switch or something? If I do not connect the ground, should the light not come on?

Old 04-22-10, 04:31 PM
Ground is for safety not function. The light should be grounded both at the switch box and fixture box. If the light base is plastic it does not need to be grounded if the fixture box is plastic the box does not need to be grounded.

Old 04-23-10, 08:18 AM
M
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Ground is for safety not function. The light should be grounded both at the switch box and fixture box. If the light base is plastic it does not need to be grounded if the fixture box is plastic the box does not need to be grounded.
That explains why it is not grounded. The light is plastic base and the switch is plastic it is connected to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: