Bathroom light/fan from Broan

Old 04-21-10, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Bathroom light/fan from Broan

I installed a fan/light to replace the existing light. I would like it to work off the existing switch (both together). I can't seem to get the wiring correct, even though I drew a sketch. The switch wire has 4 wires (tan, red, black, copper), the main is 3 (white, black, copper), the fan/light has 4 (2 whites, blue, black), and the main (I believe) continues to the bedroom. The second switch goes to the sink light. I have tried several combinations - the fan comes on without the switch when I turn on the breaker, or the breaker pops off. The sink light doesn't seem to work anymore. Help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-10, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Can you also tell what connections you made and where you made them? If you are replacing the fan you should have only changed the connections to the fan unit itself. All other connections would have stayed the same.

Old 04-21-10, 04:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
First a bit of info on terminology:
The switch wire has 4 wires (tan, red, black, copper)
Actually that is probably three conductor cable with ground not 4 wires. The tan is probably yellowed white unless you actually have conduit.
the main is 3 (white, black, copper)
And that would be two conductor cable with ground not 3 wire.

A cable is two or more wires in a metallic (i.e.: BX cable) or non metallic (i.e.: Romex) sheath. The ground either bare or green insulated is not a part of the power circuit. It is there for safety. It only carries current if there is a fault.

Your problem sounds like you tied a neutral to a hot. Remember though that while all neutrals should be white some white wires aren't neutral. You problem at pure guess sounds like you fooled with the switches. If so did you have wires pluged into both the backs of the switches and on the screws?

Old 04-22-10, 07:42 AM
I haven't touched the switches at all. Simple took the light out and disconnected all the wires since the new fan/light had to be repositioned etc.. Then tried to put the wires back together.

Old 04-22-10, 04:26 PM
If by main you mean the power in cable and it is in the light and fan box then if they followed standard procedure:

Fan/Lgt whites connected to white of power in (main)

Black of power in to 3-conductor white.

Black of fan to black of three-conductor black.

Blue of light to red of 3-conductor.

If there are any other 2-conductor cables at the fan/lgt box they would most likely be hooked to power in, black>black, white>white.

All grounds tied together and pigtailed to the fan/lgt ground screw.

Old 04-23-10, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If by main you mean the power in cable and it is in the light and fan box then if they followed standard procedure:

Fan/Lgt whites connected to white of power in (main)

Black of power in to 3-conductor white.

Black of fan to black of three-conductor black.

Blue of light to red of 3-conductor.

If there are any other 2-conductor cables at the fan/lgt box they would most likely be hooked to power in, black>black, white>white.

All grounds tied together and pigtailed to the fan/lgt ground screw.
*******Tried this and it seems to have reversed the switches. "sink light switch" turns on new light, but not fan and there seems to be some power going to sink lights (very lite flicker) The fan switch doesn't do anything and the fan doesn't come on.

Old 04-23-10, 09:35 AM
I have hooked things back up so that everything except the fan/light work properly. So I have the blk from the top of the fan/light switch free. The fan/light has two whites and the blue and black free. I tried connecting the blk to the blue & blk, and tied the whites to all the whites. Seemed logical, but the fan/light still doesn't work. I have tied the fan/light directly to the main, so I know they work. Any thoughts on what I'm missing?????

Old 04-23-10, 09:41 AM
Please tell us how many two conductor cables and how many three conductor cables at the switch and how are they connected? Please tell us how many two conductor cables and how many three conductor cables at the fan/lgt. Are there two switches or three. Instructions I gave were based on three switches and power coming into the fan/lgt box. If it comes in to the vanity Jbox or switch Jbox we need to know.
I can't seem to get the wiring correct, even though I drew a sketch.
Can you scan your original diagrams and post here? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 04-23-10, 10:44 AM
This is a two switch system. Left switch is the sink light, right is the fan/light. The three conductor from the attic has red to the bottom of the right and black to the top of the right. A red connects the bottom R to bottom L switches. A two conductor leads to the sink light. Black from the top of the left switch to sink light and the white returns and connects to the Tan of the three conductor cable that leads to the attic.

In the attic there is: the main (power from breaker box) two conductor cable, the three conductor cable which goes down to the switches, and a two conductor cable leading to a bedroom.

The Broan fan/light 638L has black & white from the fan and blue & white from the light.

Sorry about pics, it would probably take me hours to figure that out, but I'll try after this post.

Old 04-23-10, 11:42 AM
Not following exactly but if only one switch is used for the fan/lgt then both the blue and black from the fan/lgt are tied together and tied to the switched hot wire from the switch. Do you have a multimeter or test light that you can use to determine which lead at the fan is the switched hot? Have a helper flip the switch while you check voltage for the red then the black.

You have a non-standard setup but the above instructions should help sort it out.

Does this look like what you have? Tell me any corections.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-23-10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 02:08 PM
That looks very close to what I have. I want to thank you for all your imput/help.
I finely had an electrician (neighbor) do it for me (so everything would be right) and he got it all working. It turns out that I had the wiring right from the first day, but because of the short multistrand wires coming out fan/light and cheap wire nuts, I wasn't connecting tight enough with the wire nuts so the power wasn't flowing properly.
Thanks again. This was a learning experience.

Old 04-23-10, 03:12 PM
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.
and cheap wire nuts
Did you have what I call fake wire nuts? They look like real wire nuts but when you look inside there is no metal spring. I have seen them a lot in lighting from Big Box. I just throw them away.