Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Wiring assistance for ceiling fan w/ remote and light kit and 2 switches on wall

Wiring assistance for ceiling fan w/ remote and light kit and 2 switches on wall

Old 05-28-10, 09:01 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Good Evening, I am trying to replace my ceiling fan. Turned the breaker off. I have the fan pretty much put together, but the wiring is getting the best of me. I have 2 switches on the wall. One for the light and 1 for the fan. My instructions do not tell me how to connect these so that my wall switches work.
My house was building the early 80. From the circuit of my house i have a black wire, red wire and white wire. I do not see a copper wire. What is the red wire for? I hace connect the black waire from circuit to black remote control unit. Then the white from circuit to the white from remote control. Then I connected the black from remote to black fan. The white from remote control to the white on the ceiling fan. The blue from the remote control unit to the blue to the fan. Then I also connected the light kit, black to black and white to white. Now my question is what is the Red wire from the circuit box for? I dont know what to connect it to if any?? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-10, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 289 Votes on 252 Posts
You have two switches on the wall. The black is one switch leg from one switch and the red is the switch leg from the other switch. In you case, since your using a remote, you could cap off the red and just use the one switch and remote.

Your wiring is a little confusing. Most cases it is:
ceiling black to input black of remote
ceiling white to input white of remote
remote output black to fan black
remote output white to fan white
remote output blue to fan blue

The light kit is the blue. Not sure why your light kit has a separate black and white.

Old 05-28-10, 09:20 PM
L
Light Kit wiring

The light kits was pretty simple, it had clamps to plug together. So the red wire is a leg of the wall switch. If i do not hook it up, will I still be able to use my light and fan switches on the wall or will only 1 work then. I really wanted to have the light which working when I walk in the room and not hav eto find the remote control for the light to come on. Is this possible?

Old 05-29-10, 05:34 AM
L
OK. I have verified the wiring as you have described below:
Your wiring is a little confusing. Most cases it is:
ceiling black to input black of remote
ceiling white to input white of remote
remote output black to fan black
remote output white to fan white
remote output blue to fan blue
That all works perfectly. Where I need assistance is the red wire. I have not connected it at all. I would really like my light switch on the wall to work. I need to know which color group do I connect it to and should I do it before the remote or after the remote. I really would appreicate assistance. Its hot

Old 05-29-10, 06:34 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Fan

Why do you want to use two switches when you have the remote?

Sorry, I see now. I re-read you replies.

If you want the red switch wire to control the light, then connect it to the blue remote output/blue light input. Not sure whether or not this will damage the remote. Using two switches is usually done without having a remote. You should have a remote holder to place on the wall at the switch location to make the remote easy to find.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 05-29-10 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Added last statements
Old 05-29-10, 06:50 AM
L
Thank you so much that worked like a charm...you have made my Memorial Holiday cooler. The reason I want to use the wall switch is that it is bedroom and to walk in dark room and i do not want to climb on the bed to turn on the light. If I could reach out and hug you I would. Have a great day

Old 05-29-10, 06:46 PM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Success

You are welcome. It is good to know when we help someone. Many times we never know. Have a nice week end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: