Problems w/ Kichler Under the cabinet Xeron Lights

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-10, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Problems w/ Kichler Under the cabinet Xeron Lights

I had under the cabinet lighting installed when our kitchen was remodeled 4 years ago, with Kichler Xenon lights. All 5 lights are controlled by a common wall switch.

I replaced one of lights last year when it continue to turn off unexpectedly. It would come on again only when is turned it off and back on again from the rocker switch. The other lights in the series continue to function.

I'm again having issues with another light. It has the same symptoms. Intermediately it will go out. It comes on only when turn it off and on from the rocker switch.

I'd like to find out if there is something else I can do to correct this issue short of replacing the entire light ($$).

I'd also to know if anyone has had similar issues and if this is a manufacturing defect.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-10, 07:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Can you post the model number or the name of the fixtures installed?

Old 06-02-10, 09:39 PM
Sound like you have electronic transfomer going bad if you have low voltage bulb in there.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-08-10, 04:09 PM
Kichler Undercabinet Lighting Problem

I have a similar problem. Model is K-10566-WH. Started going on and off at its convenience, then just stayed off. I have three in series and the second fixture is now out, too. Got new bulbs and discovered not the problem (even old bulbs tested okay in another fixture). The third fixture still works, but I'm gueesing it's just a matter of time.

Old 09-06-10, 07:16 PM
I have the exact same problem, exact same model. I trouble shot every link from the switch to the light bulbs. I dismantled the light to a point and turned it on. I wiggled every connection in the light itself and only when I pressed on the black transformer (put pressure on it) did the light come on. It stayed on all day. I turned it off that night when I went to bed.

Next day, flip the switch and nothing. Press on the black transformer in the light housing and it comes on. So....it's definately the transformer.

I'm in the process of finding just the transformer as there is no need to replace the whole fixture.

Light: K-10566-WH
Transformer: DR16S

If I can find an exact replacement it's a piece of cake to swap out. The transformer is about half the size of a deck of cards and is held in place by double sided tape. A couple of wire nuts and it's done.

Now to shop.

Old 09-25-10, 08:23 PM
Have you had any luck on finding just the transformer to this fixture. I am having the exact same problem as everyone is describing, and would like to avoid buying the whole fixture, if it is just the transformer that needs replacing ? 9/25/10 Thanks~
I am talking about the K 10566 fixture by Kichler

Old 09-25-10, 09:33 PM
Kichler Under Cabinet Fixture

To The Mike: I may have found a source online for the transformer - Please check out ****** and item # RS12-60 - it seems to be the right size, but I am not familiar with the various amps and voltage stats they show. so I do not know if this would work or not.. could you check it out ?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-26-10 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Website removed
Old 10-06-10, 09:18 PM
Kichler reasonable replacement cost

I had a similar problem and contacted Kichler via email. Their policy is to replace the entire fixture for $25 + shipping (about $10) if you can provide them with a receipt dated within 6 years. Mine made it just under the wire - 5 years and 10 months. This seemed reasonable to me.

FYI, the transformer says 12.8 V, so I don't think the RS12-60 is correct (I think that's only 11.5V).

Old 05-07-11, 08:18 AM
Kichler No help.

Same problem with Kichler K10581BZ fixtures. Kichler would not ID the transformer, and would not replace since I am not the original purchaser, even though fixtures were installed about 4 years ago by previous owner. I took it apart and located cat. no. and manufacturer (DR16S from RU). Cannot locate this particular item, but will replace with equivalent, RU or Philips and will advise results.

Old 05-08-11, 08:51 AM
You could always buy one big xfrmr and use it to control all of the lights.

Old 09-12-11, 03:24 PM
Problems with Kichler Under-cabinet Xenon Lights

I have 6 of the Kichler Xenon fixtures in my kitchen. The first transformer failed after about 18 months and I found, like everyone else that Kichler does not sell replacement Xfmrs.

I found a transformer that worked but had to be shaved down to fit in the fixture. It failed a few weeks ago after about 3 years of service. I've found and installed another transformer - just put it in today, so I can't comment on longevity. It fits perfectly and appears to be a very rugged unit.

LET 60 Class 2 (12V/60W) Halogen Lighting Transformer from [redacted]
Xenon and halogen bulbs are both incandescent, so no problems using this transformer.

Cost was $18US plus $5.90 shipping. I'm going to let this cook for a month or so and if all is well, I'll order several as I I see some flickering in two of the units.

I'll try to avoid Kichler in the future.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-12-11 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Remove Link
Old 02-11-12, 11:26 AM
@moyerw2a22: were you able to find a replacement transformer and did it work? I have the same issues as everyone else on this thread with my Kichler xenon fixtures. Thanks!

Old 01-07-13, 02:39 PM
Replacement electronic transformer

I called Kichler and they would only sell me a complete unit. I looked at their dealers and found a Lighting store that has been a good resource in the past. They put me on a short hold and confirmed they could order the electronic transformer for <$20. I will let you know if it is the same DR16S part or a newer replacement. It is always nice to find good service.

Old 01-11-13, 01:39 PM
Replacement electronic transformer - D'oh

Well, that did not go according to plan. The part number was not the electronic transformer but rather the internal wiring harness. After talking to lighting store rep, I got the number of the Kichler service rep he had worked with. I called and she stated that due to liability issues, Kichler cannot sell just the transformer. The only option is to replace the complete K-10568 unit. I have seen other transformers but they all seem to be lower voltage than the 12.8 volt output in my unit. Well, I am off to the hardware store to check out alternatives. I suspect that I will end up ordering a new unit from my favorite online retailer.

Old 07-31-13, 08:22 PM
Talking Fix for the Kichler undercabinet lighting issue

I too was having the same issues with the Kichler model 10566 Xenon under cabinet lighting bars. My house is almost 9 years old and my issues were the same as previously mentioned: they turned on and off randomly, and had been doing so since year two years after we moved in. I figured there was just a loose wire somewhere that was leading to this problem so I tried trouble shooting through the issue. I disconnected the affected lights and tried plugging them into other power supplies in a different location on my cabinets. When they didn't turn on when switch to a new power supply, I knew the issue had to be with the transformer within the module itself.

Upon doing a Google search, I discovered that hundreds of people have had the same issue with these lights. As such, I set out to find a couple of ds-16 type transformers so I could switch out the transformers in my affected lights. Alas, I could not find them anywhere. I called my local electrical supplier and they couldn't find them. I then called Kichler and they stated, "we don't sell the individual transformers-you'll have to buy a whole unit and replace the unit. Well, I wasn't about to spend, conservatively, $275 for replacement lights and shipping, so I got online and started digging.

I could not find the ds-16 transformer anywhere. I did, however, find an alternative at an online retailer called Pegasus Lighting. They carry a model PRS12-80M transformer that is compact in size and has voltage consistency with the ds-16.

Here is a link to the website:

80-Watt 12-Volt AC Electronic Transformer - PRS12-80M

They retail for $19 each, so I thought I would give them a try.

Once they arrived I disassembled the housing and replaced the ds-16 with the PRS12-80M. The replacement was easy. I simply changed out the corresponding wires one at a time and then reassembled the housing. Went to the connector, hooked them up and flipped the switch. Whalla-the lights were back working again.

If my lights had been less then 4 years old, Kichler likely would've replaced the whole unit for free. However, since my home is almost a decade old, Kichler had no interest in replacing a fixture that had 10 years of wear on it, so if your fixtures are more than 4 years old, do yourself a favor and swap out the transformers vs. replacing the fixtures. You'll save a ton of cash, and it's an easy fix, even for the average Joe.

I've attached photos to my entry to show you all what the replacement transformer looks like, how the wires line up, and what the PRS transformer wires look like. Granted, it's not a video blog, but it should help you with your replacement. Just be sure you transition from old transformer to new, one wire at a time. If you disconnect all the wires from the old transformer and then try to hook up all the new wires, you may not reconnect in the correct pattern. If you do one corresponding wire at a time, the chances for errors are minimal.

Total repair time for two fixtures: 30 minutes for removal, repair and re-attachment to the cabinets.

Good luck!

Attached Images    
Old 08-23-13, 02:33 PM
Smile Thank you!

In June, 2013, we moved into a house that had the same undercounter lighting. All of the kitchen lights were fine, but the fixture over the built-in desk in the sitting area seemed to be out. Looking at the bulbs, two were missing and the third was clearly burned out. I bought more, thinking this would be an easy fix. Absolutely nothing, when I turned on the switch! (On hindsight, I think this poor fixture was the "parts supply" for the rest!)

Came across this thread, and the super posting by drgreendds (even from MN, too!). After measuring voltages and seeing clearly that power was being supplied to the fixture, but not to the bulbs, I ordered the transformer from Pegasus Lighting. Placed last weekend, arrived on Wednesday (!), just installed, and the fixture works GREAT - THANKS to drgreendds and PEgasus Lighting.

Whatever did we do in the Dark Ages before Google, Bing, etc.??!!

A grateful Medina (MN) resident,

Larry

Old 08-23-13, 03:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Glad such an old post could helped you. The irony being no indication the original poster was helped. He hasn't been on the board since the day he made the post.

Closed Thread