Installing recessed lighting in finished basement

Old 06-25-10, 12:05 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Installing recessed lighting in finished basement

Hi -

I have a finished basement with one light in the middle. I am planning to to add 4 recessed cans placed on four corners forming square. One side of this basement faces a non-finished room so I can see through all the floor joists. I checked and saw that a wire has been run through the joists (from the switch) to that light in the middle.

What I was thinking was start with the corner that is furthest to the switch - install a can light #1, run the cable along the joist by stapling the wire on to it. Then connect that cable to the other can light #2. Run the wire from there through the exposed ceiling of the adjacent unfinished room (run it perpendicular to the joists of the finished basement) and take it to can light #3. From there run cable along the joist to can light #4 (basically forming a U-shape). Pull out the cable running through the joists to the existing light out and re-run it towards can light #4 and wire it to connect to the live wire.

Two questions -

Is the wiring ok?
Is it ok to staple the wire (NM12-2) along the joist?

Thanks!!

Old 06-25-10, 09:53 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by imjayhawk View Post
Is the wiring ok?
Your plan sounds acceptable.

Is it ok to staple the wire (NM12-2) along the joist?
Where it runs inside the joist space, yes. It can be stapled perpendicular to the underside of the joists if you nail up a running board like a 2x2 to protect the cable. Otherwise the cable should run through bored holes in the center of the joists. The cable does not need to be stapled where it is fished into finished walls or ceilings, only on the ends where it is exposed.

Old 06-25-10, 10:06 AM
I
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Your plan sounds acceptable.

Where it runs inside the joist space, yes. It can be stapled perpendicular to the underside of the joists if you nail up a running board like a 2x2 to protect the cable. Otherwise the cable should run through bored holes in the center of the joists. The cable does not need to be stapled where it is fished into finished walls or ceilings, only on the ends where it is exposed.
But I already have a drywall ceiling so I can't staple it to the underside of the joists. That's why I was asking if its ok to staple it on flat surface of the joint to run along with it. Are you saying that I can leave the wire that I run from one can to another loosely on the drywall ceiling in between the joists? I want to make sure that I'm in line with the code.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Old 06-25-10, 08:50 PM
D
The wirng needs to be stapled within 12 inches of the fixture box, then supporterd every 4 1/2 feet. The cable needs to be protected. You cannot simply run the cable in the joint where the drywall butts together. If there is no access then it may be necessary to open the drywall to allow drilling the ceiling joists to create a safe path for the wiring to be installed.

Old 06-26-10, 06:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Dave, I believe the OP was talking about fishing the cables above the finished ceiling. If so, the cable can lay on top of the drywall. Any accessible areas should be secured as you noted.

Old 06-27-10, 09:08 PM
I
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Dave, I believe the OP was talking about fishing the cables above the finished ceiling. If so, the cable can lay on top of the drywall. Any accessible areas should be secured as you noted.
That is correct. I will be opening up the ceiling only where the recessed cans will go in. The distance between these lights is only about 5 ft.

Old 06-28-10, 02:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
You might be able to staple between the lights by reaching into the holes before the lights are installed.

Old 06-28-10, 10:17 PM
I
Thank you .. hopefully I can get this done this weekend

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: