how to reverse air flow in ceiling exhaust fan?

Old 07-10-10, 01:23 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to reverse air flow in ceiling exhaust fan?

I just bought a panasonic whisperceiling 150 cfm ceiling exhaust fan, model FV-15VQ5 and was wondering how to reverse the airflow?

I tried rewiring it with the white and black wires together instead of white/white, black/black, but that didn't change the airflow direction.

ps. I'm trying to use the fan on the outside of a recording booth as exhaust. I got an inline fan at first, but it was too loud so I got this one to replace it.

Old 07-10-10, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Ther are remote mount exhaust fans that could do what you want.

If not you could run inlet ducting back to the room and remote mount the fan.

Old 07-10-10, 02:34 PM
G
I want to keep the fan I have now. is there any way to reverse the air flow direction?

Old 07-10-10, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the fan only has black, white, and ground wires you cannot wire it to run the other way. Best you can do is remove the fan and mount it in backwards. I don't know how it is mounted so you may have to rig a way to mount it so the air flows the way you want it.

Old 07-10-10, 05:05 PM
G
it's a ceiling exhaust fan, so flipping it around like you would with an inline fan is not really an option.

I was thinking of replacing the 13" grille with a ceiling box like one of these. would that work? right now, the ceiling fan is just sitting on the floor and I plan to use it that way instead of mounting it.

the problem (if that works) is where to find a ceiling box that'll fit both the fan opening and will accomodate 6" or 4" duct. any ideas on that?

Old 07-10-10, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You could have used your in line fan and mounted it remotely, away from the studio wall and have it "draw" the air rather than push it. Insulate the duct from the studio to the fan and secure the fan on rubber feet. Just a few suggestions for something that may work.

Old 07-11-10, 07:24 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why not build your own box for it out of wood? The electrical connections are made inside its own box, so as long as you don't put the supply wires in the duct you're OK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: