attic fan replacement motor - need hlep

Old 07-18-10, 01:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question attic fan replacement motor - need hlep

Apparently the motor has burned out after only 1 year.
I want to replace it with the best motor I can get.
The tag on the motor says

DM (Asia) LTD
MODEL NO: DOW-136-0-34-RE
120V 3.4A 60HZ

I want to purchase a good motor, preferably with a 5 year warranty. I would appreciate knowing where/how I can get such a motor.

Thank you in advance for you suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-10, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Did not the fan come with a warranty? Are there any more markings on the motor tag? This is a whole house fan I am presuming. If the tag is lacking other information, you will need to remove the motor and take it to a motor or electrical supply house to see if they can match the size of casing, HP, etc.

Old 07-24-10, 07:35 AM
I'm having the same issue. My motors only lasted 1 yr maybe 2. I have the exact same motor model numbers. My fans are attic vent fans that are mounted on the roof. Ventomatic is the manufacturer of the unit (not the motor). They said I could purchase the motors from them for $61 each.

They also told me I should ensure there is adequate soffit ventilation and that both fans are on the same thermostat. I have done all the calculations and determined I have adequate soffit ventilation. I will wire the motors onto the same thermostat once I get the new motors installed. I'm just now starting my search for another motor manufacturer. I would also like to find something with a 5 year warranty if possible. Keep us posted if you find anything and I will do the same.

Old 07-24-10, 01:46 PM
Same crappy fan motor

Were they all designed to fail in July? I bypassed the thermostat and still no luck.

Mine is three years old and is the exact same model the other poster mentioned.

DM (ASIA) LTD
MODEL NO: DWO-136-0-34-RE
120c 3.4a 60hz

I just pulled mine out and plan to take it to an electric supply store to buy something local. Hope other posters can mention a better grade replacement motor.

Old 07-24-10, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hokay, we're talking about attic vent fans, not whole house fans. Vent fans have a short life, so don't expect much from them. Passive movement of air through a ridge vent is much better than any mechanical means. Face it, a motor can't handle temps that approach 130 F day in and day out. The product itself sounds nice, but the extremes take it's toll.
I would not replace the motor unless you buy more than one. Next Hot season, you'll do it all over again. At probably the cost of installing a ridge vent.

Old 07-30-10, 04:44 PM
Received 20 Votes on 15 Posts
You could all take your old motors to the nearest Grainger store and have them matched up to something they stock. Many domestic manufacturers have gotten out of the attic ventilator fan business because of the liabilities when a faulty motor burns the house down. Motors that are out of sight are also out of mind and fail while no one is watching them. The result can be catastrophic. I agree with Chandler. A good ridge vent in combination with soffit vents is a much better alternative.

Old 08-04-10, 05:29 PM
The problem is in the first line of your model# ---(asia) ltd.
These motors are from an overseas company that really has no knowledge of electrical requirements here. The solution...buy american..broan has an attic fan and the motors last alot longer that a year..i know that they have a motor that will take the place of the ones you are talking about here. They actually have 3 different ones so one should work for you...call House of Fans in San Francisco...they have those motors

Old 08-04-10, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
You could all take your old motors to the nearest Grainger store and have them matched up to something they stock. Many domestic manufacturers have gotten out of the attic ventilator fan business because of the liabilities when a faulty motor burns the house down. Motors that are out of sight are also out of mind and fail while no one is watching them. The result can be catastrophic. I agree with Chandler. A good ridge vent in combination with soffit vents is a much better alternative.

sorry joe, but that is not true. The reason some domestic manufactures don't do replacement parts is too many people shop at home depot and lowes where all their stuff is imported..A faulty fan motor will not burn down your house, ..motors just stop running..faulty wiring can burn down your house

Old 08-04-10, 05:38 PM
The problem is in the first line of your model# ---(asia) ltd.
These motors are from an overseas company that really has no knowledge of electrical requirements here
Excellent point! If the manufacturer belonged to NEMA, there would be a frame size and other important information on the label by which to identify the specific characteristics and mounting style of the motor.

Old 08-04-10, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by FanGirl5 View Post
sorry joe, but that is not true. The reason some domestic manufactures don't do replacement parts is too many people shop at home depot and lowes where all their stuff is imported..A faulty fan motor will not burn down your house, ..motors just stop running..faulty wiring can burn down your house
Sorry Fangirl, but you are wrong. Powered attic ventilator motors typically have a mechanical thermal protector built into them. Mechanical devices will cycle the motor upon a fault till eventually they fail. The failure can be in the open position or the closed position. If the failure is in the closed position, the motor will continue to fry internally and can cause a fire. When the motor is hidden away in an attic, the motor can cycle on the protector for weeks or months before it finally fails, unnoticed. The largest domestic manufacturer started getting out of the attic ventilator business in the 1980s because of liability.

Old 08-06-10, 04:58 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
Sorry Fangirl, but you are wrong. Powered attic ventilator motors typically have a mechanical thermal protector built into them. Mechanical devices will cycle the motor upon a fault till eventually they fail. The failure can be in the open position or the closed position. If the failure is in the closed position, the motor will continue to fry internally and can cause a fire. When the motor is hidden away in an attic, the motor can cycle on the protector for weeks or months before it finally fails, unnoticed. The largest domestic manufacturer started getting out of the attic ventilator business in the 1980s because of liability.

sorry casual joe, but we have been replacing not only attic fan motors but ALL electric motors since 1938 and we have not in that time seen a fire due to an attic fan motor...heater motor, yes..and...we have been ordering from...aosmith, mcmilliam, ge, universal, fasco, magnetek, packard, ,marathon, baldor...for years and years, there have been a few that have folded, but as far as our records ( and they only go back to 1938) go, it wasn't due to worrying about fires. Sorry..Emerson Motors went under as did Emerson/pryne (which we have replacement motors for)..
Bottom line...buy american and stay away from home depot

Old 08-08-10, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by FanGirl5 View Post
sorry casual joe, but we have been replacing not only attic fan motors but ALL electric motors since 1938 and we have not in that time seen a fire due to an attic fan motor...heater motor, yes..and...we have been ordering from...aosmith, mcmilliam, ge, universal, fasco, magnetek, packard, ,marathon, baldor...for years and years, there have been a few that have folded, but as far as our records ( and they only go back to 1938) go, it wasn't due to worrying about fires. Sorry..Emerson Motors went under as did Emerson/pryne (which we have replacement motors for)..
Bottom line...buy american and stay away from home depot
Sorry FanGirl, you are wrong again. You may know about installing ventilators, but evidently know little about motors and motor manufacturers. I know of the liability issues with attic ventilator fan motors direct from the Emerson Legal Dept. and the engineer who used to defend Emerson in product liability lawsuits. By the way, Emerson Motors didn't go under.

Emerson Motor Technologies

Emerson/Pryne didn't go under either, it was sold.

Emerson sold the Pryne business, which produced most of these fans, over 10 years ago. Replacement motors are no longer available. It is often easier and less expensive to replace the entire exhaust unit through your local home center.
Emerson Motor Technologies - Support

Old 10-14-10, 06:05 PM
UPDATE: Emerson Motors still hasn't gone under, but Emerson sold their commercial motor business as of 10/1/10 to Nidec, a Japanese company.

Nidec Motor Corporation

Last edited by CasualJoe; 10-14-10 at 06:16 PM. Reason: to post website