Ceiling Fan Installation with 3 sets of wires

Old 08-10-10, 01:35 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Installation with 3 sets of wires

I'm putting in a new ceiling fan with lighting kit where there used to be tracking. I took down the old light and had to undo the wires to reinforce the box as it was very loose. Anyhow, drew out the wiring before I removed it and thought I had followed it but now things are a bit messed up. There are three sets of wires in the ceiling. Each has a Black, White and Ground. I wired my celing fan's Black and blue to where the other light's black use to go and the white to the previous connection of the old light. Anyhow, I must have messed up somewhere because at one point I had it where the fan and light worked but the light switch controlling it no longer controlled it and the outlets along my outside wall didn't work. I rewired it according to suggestion from another forum and nothing works now.
So my understanding is that the three sets of wires at 1) Live from fuse box 2) Wires from light switch and 3) wires that take power out to the wall outlets. My ceiling fan has a black, blue and white wire. The black is supposed to be for the fan and the blue for the light. How should I do the wiring?
I will call the wire sets as such: 1: Switch 2: live wire 3:Outlet wires.

Thanks in Advance as I need help ASAP.

Old 08-10-10, 02:01 PM
S
here's what you do, the white wire that goes to the switch, color it blue with a magic marker. now everything is color to color.

Old 08-10-10, 02:29 PM
S
Are you serious? can you please elaborate a bit more

Old 08-10-10, 05:29 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sarawent View Post
here's what you do, the white wire that goes to the switch, color it blue with a magic marker. now everything is color to color.
Not really and the color doesn't have to be blue. It can be any color but green, gray or white.

Where 1=Power in | 2=Switch Loop | 3=Load out

2-recolored white connected to 1-black and 3-black

Fan/light-white connected to 1-white and 3-white

Fan-black and Light-blue connected to 2-black.

All grounds together and if box is metal pigtailed to box. Box must be fan rated.

Old 08-10-10, 08:12 PM
S
Thanks that's a bit more clear

Old 08-10-10, 09:51 PM
Post back if you need clarification or more help.

Old 08-11-10, 12:20 AM
S
how is his explanation more clear? the only difference between his and my wiring is he is reidentifying the switch white as direct power, and reidentifying the switch black as switched power.... my way only reidentify's switch white as switched power... why reidentify 2 wires? don't make it more complicated than it is. read my first post. that's all there is to it.

Old 09-13-10, 02:04 PM
S
Okay, so didn't get a chance to follow up. I connected everything as suggested but it's not working. I checked all the wires and none of them are showing as live. Is it possible that when I connnected a wrong wire I shorted the entire circuit somehow? I know it's possible but what to do short of calling an electrician now?
Anyway to check to see if I somehow killed the entire circuit and power line that was supposed to go to the fan?

Old 09-13-10, 02:30 PM
Have you turned all the 15 amp and 20 amp breakers all the way off then on? Is anything else dead? Have you checked for power between each wire and ground? How many wires at the switch?

Old 09-13-10, 08:00 PM
S
I only turned on and off the one fuse switch that controls the living room. All the wall plugs on one side of the living room also don't work now as well. I'm afraid I fried it somewhere

Old 09-13-10, 09:08 PM
Make the voltage measurement between ground and each wire and tell us what you get.

Tech term info: It's a breaker not a 'fuse switch". There are no fuses in a breaker box.

Old 09-14-10, 11:19 AM
S
So I will go ahead and turn off all the breakers and turn the on again to see what happens. This thought never occured to me as I didn't see any of the other switches flipped or didn't think someone on one breaker could be affected by the others. As far as I'm concern everything else in my house still works.

Thanks

Old 09-14-10, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by southnam View Post
So I will go ahead and turn off all the breakers and turn the on again to see what happens. This thought never occured to me as I didn't see any of the other switches flipped or didn't think someone on one breaker could be affected by the others. As far as I'm concern everything else in my house still works.

Thanks
Depending on the breaker it may not look tripped.

Old 09-14-10, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by sarawent View Post
how is his explanation more clear? the only difference between his and my wiring is he is reidentifying the switch white as direct power, and reidentifying the switch black as switched power.... my way only reidentify's switch white as switched power... why reidentify 2 wires? don't make it more complicated than it is. read my first post. that's all there is to it.
The difference is that one way complies with NEC 200.7 and yours does not. The white must be the unswitched feed to the switch. The black must be the switch controlled to the fixture.

The answers here always try to comply with the electrical codes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: