Nutone fan wiring

Old 08-11-10, 06:05 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nutone fan wiring

I recently purchased and installed a NuTone Bathroom vent fan/light (model # 761WHNT) using the "out of box" schematic. It calls for a dual control switch which I purchased separately. Wiring is supposed to be one common feed in and then two feeds out, one to the fan and one to the light, with the neutrals ganged together. That's exactly the way I wired it but this configuration results in being able to activate the light by itself but not the fan. In order to run the fan you must have the light on. This seems a bit odd. Why would you want the light on during the day? What did I do wrong or is this a common situation with this type of unit?

Old 08-11-10, 06:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does power come in at the switch or fixture? You did use a 3-conductor plus ground cable between fixture and switch? You did put the power in on the side of the switch with the tab and the two load wires on the side of the switch with no tab?

Old 08-11-10, 06:36 PM
P
This is a replacement fixture so wires were already present. The switch I used is the one indicated by the unit mfg. It has only one terminal on one side (hot lead in) and two terminals on the other side. Power comes in at the switch. The neutrals are wired together at the unit. Black wire goes from top terminal of switch to black wire at the fan. Red wire goes from bottom terminal of switch to blue wire at the light. The light works independently of the fan but the fan will not run unless the light is on.

Old 08-11-10, 08:45 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check your switch wiring, specifically the black wires. I think that, if you reverse the black wires, from one side to the other, you will solve the problem. As to the fan, the schematic is straight forward.

Old 08-17-10, 06:59 AM
P
Goldstar -- Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your post. I tried switching the wires as you suggested and it worked. Now, can you explain why the wiring as directed by the mfg. did not work is this case? It did seem pretty straight forward with just one supply coming in on one side and the two separate loads going out, but now I have the supply coming in on one of the" load out" terminals and the load to the light on the" supply in" terminal. In any event, thanks again for your assistance.

Old 08-17-10, 08:05 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't know how the line and load wires got mixed up, but it's easy to confuse the two - especially without checking them with a volt meter. Glad to hear that you are now enjoying your fan.

Goldstar
Retired manufacturing process engineer
Fans, chimes, bath cabinets, and powder coat paint

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: