Exterior porch fan wiring... if not, how to make to code.

Old 08-14-10, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior porch fan wiring... if not, how to make to code.

Built a porch and put two fans out there. Im pretty sure it not up to code, but since we plan on selling the house in the next few years, im just trying to start making sure everything is ready so we dont have to rush when closing.

I ran a wire from inside the box behind the interior light switch up inside the wall into the attic.
In side the attic there is a metal junction box where it Ts off and each wire runs bare romex to a rafter, then runs down the rafter into the fan base.

I was hoping there is a way to make it to code with out runing a hideous conduit. To bad there is no way to to run it inside to wood.
Is there a out door romex?

Thanks guys!
Ken

Pic:

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-10, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And exposed Romex is more hidious then conduit? You could run UF cable. You could leave the Romex and install a ceiling. You could make wood wire races to install over the Romex.

As to whether it is a code violation might depend on the inspector. It is above 6 feet and protected. It is in a normally dry location.

Old 08-15-10, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
The big violation is that the Romex is run too close to the top of the rafter. It needs to be 1 1/4" away from the nailing face of the rafter. Also, I suspect there is no box and the wires are just spliced inside the fan canopy.

I agree with Ray about building races out of wood just so long as the cable is 1 1/4" away from any nailing face.

Running EMT does not look that bad and you could also paint it to match the wood. Another option is Wiremold.

IMO exposed Romex is much more hideous then nicely bent EMT.