Shower Recessed Lighting Trim

Old 08-20-10, 05:57 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Shower Recessed Lighting Trim

I am installing a recessed light above my shower and don't particularly like any of the shower trims available at my local hardware store. Does the shower trim absolutely have to be air/water tight, or can I just use a flood bulb? The trim and bulb I ended up buying only leaves maybe an 1/8th inch gap around the bulb, but that isn't air tight of course. Is the point of a dedicated shower trim to keep moisture out of the housing?

Old 08-20-10, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The bulb and trim combinations will be listed for use together. Some are open trims. Any trim needs to be listed for damp or wet location usage.

Old 08-20-10, 08:42 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
IIRC if you are over 7 feet from the floor to ceiling I think you may get away with open trim however if you use the open trim it must be PAR30 or PAR 38 bulbs aka outdoor rated bulbs with hevey glass otherwise if not over 7 feet then you must have to use the shower trim but look around with wattage restriction { most will restrict at 40 or 60 watts }

Merci.
Marc

Old 08-21-10, 02:34 PM
M
...so are you saying that moisture getting inside the recess can isn't the problem, its the recess trim itself? I chose a flood bulb, which has pretty thick glass, trim is painted, and gap around bulb (between bulb and trim) is about 1/8". Also, it's an 8 foot ceiling. What's the worst that could happen?

Old 08-21-10, 06:30 PM
F
If you used the PAR bulb it will not be issue unless you have very hevey moisture then you have to use wet location trim cover do not use the BR bulb { the glass is too thin for your safety sake }

I know in my local codes I can use the PAR bulb only if over 7 feet and higher but anything less no it have to be enclosed trim the key issue is deflection from shower spray.

Merci.
Marc

Old 08-21-10, 10:31 PM
M
I'll be using a 50W PAR30 flood.

Old 08-22-10, 12:05 PM
F
You should be fine with that bulb no issue at all the last one I did I put in 90W PAR38 wowie that really light up the shower stall pretty nice.

Merci,
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: