Ceiling fans in 3 rooms?

Old 08-22-10, 07:29 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fans in 3 rooms?

Hi. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

We want to install 3 ceiling fans w/ lights in the 3 bedrooms in the upstairs level of our home. When we moved in we updated our service from 100 to 200 amp.

What is the preferred method of installing these 3 fans?

Run separate romex from individual breakers for each fan or run one line of romex from one new breaker to the attic into a junction box and then run three lines to the rooms from there? Not sure what the draw on the fans are, but guessing 110?

Thanks. AW

Old 08-22-10, 08:45 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Run separate romex from individual breakers for each fan or run one line of romex from one new breaker to the attic into a junction box and then run three lines to the rooms from there? Not sure what the draw on the fans are, but guessing 110?
110 what? Nominal voltage for a a ceiling fan is 120 volts. The current draw is less then 3 amps depending on the light fixture associated with the fan.

I would suggest running one new circuit, Run first to the fan nearest the breaker box and from that fan to the next closest and finally from that to the last fan. Use 12-2 from a 20 amp breaker. At each fan run a switch loop using 12-3 to the switch box for each fan.

A separate Jbox feeding each fan is more connections that might fail, probably would use more wire, and would make future trouble shooting more difficult if the repair person didn't know it was there.

Old 08-23-10, 05:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
Is there anything there now or are you adding these fans in an otherwise empty ceiling?

Ceiling fans can get pretty heavy, so the proper box needs to be installed if not already present

Old 08-24-10, 05:05 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

No lighting fixtures in the ceilings so I've located the room centers and was planning on using between joist hangars for the fan boxes.

I was not planning on tying into the current wall switches on the old circuts and instead using the pull chains to turn the fan/lights on and off.

Given that, would it be more of the 12/2 between fans instead of the 12/3 you mentioned?

Thanks again. AW

Old 08-24-10, 07:58 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You will find that having to go to the center of each room to turn on the light and fan will quickly become a PITA. May I suggest getting remotes for each fan. They can be set so as not to interfere with each other, usually have a remote holster that can be mounted near the door, and will control the light - including dimming and the fan - including speed changes.

Old 08-24-10, 08:03 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
12-3 refers to three current carrying conductors plus a ground for a total of 4 wires when you are referring to NM-b (Romex). I suggested that to provide individual switches for each function of the fan. If you are not going to use switches then all you need is 12-2 0r 14-2 depending on breaker size.

Last edited by stickshift; 08-24-10 at 08:23 AM. Reason: removed reference to deleted post

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: