Basement Halogen Pot Lights + Low Ceiling

Old 09-10-10, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Halogen Pot Lights + Low Ceiling

I'm thinking (actually, starting to) renovate a dark basement room for use as a "man cave". The room is roughly 11 x 25 (long and narrow) with the final layout to have a home theater setup on the one end, seating in the majority of the middle, and a small bar at the other end.

I'm in love with Halogen Pot Lights. We have them in our Kitchen, and I like the light they throw off, whether full bright or dimmed. Retrofitting the basement is going to be a pain and will require (I think) running an additional circuit from the panel, but I'm willing to go through with it.

One thing I just thought of though, is the ceiling in the room has a lower ceiling at only 7 feet. What I got to thinking is the heat these Halogens throw off. With only 7 feet of clearance, will I be kicking myself as my scalp burns from the light down there? Any other options (other than florescent, I really want nice dimming for the lights)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-10, 06:22 PM
Eliminate the heat and the cost to operate halogens!!!
check for dimmable LEDs with your needed base.

fred

Old 09-11-10, 07:11 AM
I thought of LEDs, but the brightness of the light and smoothness of the dimming doesn't match up with what I'm looking for (I really wish they did). I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the Halogen pot lights and just try not to stand directly under them when they're on full bright.

Old 09-11-10, 07:21 AM
What about Xenon bulbs instead? I know they're still hot, but apparently not as hot as Halogen. Any thoughts?