Halo trim for a Lithonia can, how to??

Old 09-17-10, 06:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Halo trim for a Lithonia can, how to??

Help! I made the mistake of buying Lithonia remodel cans and then chose Halo trim. We thought they'd fit. The lady at the store said they'd work. But of course they do not. The weight of the trim without a bulb pretty much drags the trim out of the can light (darn gravity!). And with a bulb, foget aboudit. So how can I make these two items work well together. I can't be the first person this has happened to. I can imagine sending back (rather taking back to the brick and mortal store I bought them from...) with a 30% restocking free, more like reshocking fee, but hey, I like money. I'd rather make these work. Any tips on how to do this? Any experience with this problem? Thanks in advance.

Scott

Old 09-17-10, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
If there are springs that hold the trim up install the springs as high in the can as possible. If that still doesn't work then cut the spring shorter and reinstall.

If it helps, I have never had a trim I couldn't get to fit. Sometimes is just takes a little "field modification"

Old 09-17-10, 08:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi Tolyn,

Thanks for the quick response. There are springs and then there are springs. The Lithonia has the two springs, one on either side. Each is two wire that don't want to be close to each other. Those fit into the catcher in the can, and when you push the light up (after catching the side springs in their respective catchers) the light snugs up into place and stays there happily. The halo trim doesn't have that. It has three little friction tabs that just stick out. When you push them up into the can they just rub against the side of the can and are supposed to hold the trim in. Apparently the Halo cans are much more grippy. Maybe if I just put duct tape around the inside of the can the little flange fingers would get enough traction to hold the light in place. I've written to Halo to ask. We'll see. Let me know if my description made sense.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 09-17-10, 09:36 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
I can imagine sending back (rather taking back to the brick and mortal store I bought them from...) with a 30% restocking free, more like reshocking fee
I think I'd attempt to take them back and explain to them that THEY sold you the WRONG trims. I'd put the responsibility back on the salesperson and refuse the restocking charge. A few years ago I had to use some Halo trims on some 30 year old cans from a manufactuer that was gone. I got them to fit, but was not very happy with them.

Old 09-18-10, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
The trims should be listed for use with the housings. Not all trims are compatable with other brands.

Old 09-18-10, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by sfarns1401 View Post
Hi Tolyn,

Thanks for the quick response. There are springs and then there are springs. The Lithonia has the two springs, one on either side. Each is two wire that don't want to be close to each other. Those fit into the catcher in the can, and when you push the light up (after catching the side springs in their respective catchers) the light snugs up into place and stays there happily. The halo trim doesn't have that. It has three little friction tabs that just stick out. When you push them up into the can they just rub against the side of the can and are supposed to hold the trim in. Apparently the Halo cans are much more grippy. Maybe if I just put duct tape around the inside of the can the little flange fingers would get enough traction to hold the light in place. I've written to Halo to ask. We'll see. Let me know if my description made sense.

Thanks,

Scott
I know the trims your talking about. You could try to bend the springs out so they grip more. This might be tough to do if they are made with spring steel (black). Using tape might be a bad idea depending on how hot the fixture gets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: