Wiring recessed lights.

Old 10-01-10, 08:35 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring recessed lights.

I am kind of new to this , so excuse me if i sound somewhat clueless about this . I am currently framing my basement and getting ready to start doing electrical work. Currently there is 1 switch that controls all the lights in the basement (6 lights). I would like to install about 12 recessed lights with 3 switches controlling 4 lights each. So, because i am on a tight budget, i want to do this myself. Can anyone give me any instruction, as far as where to start, what wiring to use?

Some other info. The lights are all controlled by one breaker, and there is nothing but the basement lights consuming the power from that one breaker.

Most importantly, how do you setup 3 switches controlling 3 sets of 4 recessed lights from one circuit? I found this diagram on a different web page(Multiple Light Points Wiring Circuit Diagram | 2 Gang Switch), but i would like to confirm that this is how i would need to wire my own basement.

Thanks

Old 10-02-10, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Being in the framing mode allows you to do the job without extensive cutting, etc. Once you have the locations planned out and the group of lights you want controlled by each switch, do as the diagram shows. We are assuming power enters the triple switch box where you will be mounting your switches. As the diagram shows, at each light, just add lights to the group by connecting white to white, black to black and bare to bare.
Now if the power does not originate in the switch box, we have additional instructions, so let us know about that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: