Strange ceiling fan wiring problem

Old 11-06-10, 07:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange ceiling fan wiring problem

Hi all -

I was hooking up a ceiling fan for a friend and ran into a strange problem. This was a new setup - existing switch that has a 14-2 power coming into it (used to control a receptacle). I ran a new 14-3 wire into the ceiling and put in a Harbor Breeze light/fan combo switch - black to fan, red to light. I hooked up a fan (black to black, blue to red), and fan works great, but the lights do not turn on. I checked the red wire at the fan box and there was no current even when switch is on. As soon as I disconnect the blue wire from the fan, the current comes right back to the red wire. I don't understand what can be causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 11-06-10, 08:31 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
existing switch that has a 14-2 power coming into it (used to control a receptacle).
Your statement is a bit confusing. Do you mean you have a 14-2 always hot cable coming in and a second 14-2 going out to the receptacle? If you have only a single 14-2 cable you have a switch loop and it can not be used for the fan with out rewiring the receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: