Testing Low Voltage Light Fixture

Old 11-08-10, 01:22 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Testing Low Voltage Light Fixture

I have had my low voltage lights for some time. I some instances, one light does not function, and replacing the bulb doesn't help. How do I test the light fixture to verify that it is OK and the bulb (even the new one sometimes) is the problem? Also, I have some spares from prior lighting changes. What can I use to test these fixtures to be sure that I can use them as replacements - or that I should just chuck them? I don't have a spare transformer unit to use.

Old 11-08-10, 03:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How do I test the light fixture to verify that it is OK and the bulb (even the new one sometimes) is the problem?
Swap bulbs between a working and non working fixture.

If the bulb that was not working does not work in the known good fixture you can assume the bulb is bad.

If the bulb that was working in the known good fixture no longer works in the suspect fixture you can presume it is a bad fixture or the clamp on splice needs to be redone.

You can also test the fixtures using your car battery. Remove the fixture and with a good bulb in it touch the two wires to the poles of your battery. Polarity doesn't matter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: