Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

how to drill hole in exterior wall header - not enough room.. right angle drill?

how to drill hole in exterior wall header - not enough room.. right angle drill?

Old 11-12-10, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I need to drill a hole for a 12/2 wire thru the header of an exterior wall. I have attic access and I pulled the insulation back but the clearance between roof and header is small. I don't own an right angle drill and the area is almost out of arms length. Is a small right angle drill my own option? (I don't currently own one.) Seeking tips...

Old 11-12-10, 07:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Can you come up from below? They make right angle adapters for regular drills. That might be a cheaper alternative. Though not cheap or easy to use there are also flexible drill bits.

Old 11-12-10, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Can you come up from below? They make right angle adapters for regular drills. That might be a cheaper alternative. Though not cheap or easy to use there are also flexible drill bits.
You mean from below house? Not practical as I'm installing a switch for a new hanging fixture over a sink so the wire needs to run to to a ceiling box in the attic. I did manage to get the box in for fixture using a hanger but it sits out from the wall a bit so there was a little more clearance between rafter and roof. Even at that I was barely able to reach it....

Old 11-12-10, 08:58 PM
You mean from below house?
No, below the header. I meant open the wall just below the header just enough to get the drill in. If you have an opening for the switch box you may also be able to drill up from it with a flex drill bit. Even using the flex bit I'd still probably make a small hole under the header to be sure the bit was going in correctly.

Old 11-12-10, 09:04 PM
RE: Below header....
I considered that. We have textured walls (give me smooth anytime) and it's difficult to make a patch job match the texture. But again... may have to. I was hoping there was a "secret" tool the pro's use in this tight space. I appreciate your suggestion...

Old 11-12-10, 09:26 PM
I was hoping there was a "secret" tool the pro's use in this tight space
That would be the flex bit I mentioned. Not really knowing what you have it is hard to say and I'm not sure if by header you just mean the usual double 2X4 stud plate but if there is a soffit and the bottom of the soffit is below the header you could open the soffit, remove a panel, run the cable into the soffit and then drill a hole into the wall from the soffit for the cable.

Old 11-13-10, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
That would be the flex bit I mentioned. Not really knowing what you have it is hard to say and I'm not sure if by header you just mean the usual double 2X4 stud plate but if there is a soffit and the bottom of the soffit is below the header you could open the soffit, remove a panel, run the cable into the soffit and then drill a hole into the wall from the soffit for the cable.
Yes... my bad... I'm actually talking about the double 2x4 top plate on an outside wall. Vey difficult to get to (let alone drill thru) from attic with the roof only inches above it and no room to work. Sorry about the wrong terminology. This is standard wood frame construction from around 1950. As for the soffit... I actually considered adding a vent at the location where I need to drill, perhaps I could wrangle a right angle drill in there.

Old 11-13-10, 11:03 AM
I actually considered adding a vent at the location where I need to drill, perhaps I could wrangle a right angle drill in there
Been there, done the vent thing more then once. If there are existing vents pull one nearest the area to see what there and if it will work. I' doubt even a right angle will fit but sometimes the soffit overlaps the sheathing on the exterior wall. You can also sometimes run a fish rod or tape into the attic far enough to more easily reach and pull the cable to you.

Last resort a short piece of conduit and conduit ell down from the soffit into the wall. That though you might not like the appearance of.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: