Can halogen ballasts go bad?

Old 11-16-10, 05:45 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can halogen ballasts go bad?

2 years ago, when we did our kitchen renovation, we bought 2 Hampton Bay Mya Pendant Lights.

Actually it could have been a different model, I am not sure but they look right.

Anyways 2 days ago, all of a sudden both lights went out. Assuming both conviniently had their bulbs burn out at the same time I bought new bulbs. No dice though.

So I took out my multimeter and checked the following:
-light bulbs resistance test (for continuity testing) - check, the bulbs are actually good
-voltage reading of the electrical line at the ceiling box - check, reading 120v
-voltage reading at the two points where the halogen bulb connects to the light - bad, no reading comes through.

Can halogen balasts go bad? how can i test?
Can switches go bad? It's hard for me to test the light switch because the bulb cuts the connection.

If it's not the ballast then maybe it's whatever else is inside the pendant part. The ballast is in the ceiling box and then there is the pendant, and the pendant has some other device where the bulb connects to - and i'm not sure how to test it.

thanks for any input you can give.

Old 11-16-10, 06:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
If you check the Reviews tab on the link you posted you will see the transformers have been problematic.

Old 11-16-10, 06:17 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wow...I should have noticed that...

at least it looks like I can replace the transformers.

ok well - thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: