motion sensor to actuate fan, relay needed?

Old 11-25-10, 10:46 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
motion sensor to actuate fan, relay needed?

Hey guys (and gals),

A while back I posted about ventilating a cat litter area under a stairwell. I have a fan, and a motion sensor. The fan, a muffin fan, or AC axial flow fan, if you will, has a rated input power of 11W and current of 0.12A, 12025V1M (AC axial flow fans 115v, 230v - (size here, example: 120x120x38mm)). The motion sensor, Leviton PR150-1LI, is single pole, load rating 40W/VA min 500W 400VA max. Although it warns in the instructions not to use this device to control a motor, the motor specs fall below those of , e.g., a 60W bulb. Can I use this combination of devices to turn this fan on?

If not, should I use a relay, and which one?

Thanks, and happy thanksgiving!

Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-10, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Don't know whether I replied before..but I did the same thing only I wired the motion sensor to control a duplex outlet. Plugged a little 15W(?) incandescent lamp into one side and used a wall-wart in the other, wired to the fan. Can't remember whether I used an AC or DC fan. Worked like a champ!

All I can say is wire it up on the bench and give it a try.

Old 11-26-10, 05:23 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks gunguy,

Yes you did respond to the original post over in Ducting, Vent Systems, etc. The reason for this post was that it specifically states in the instructions for the motion sensor "WARNING: TO AVOID OVERHEATING AND POSSIBLE DAMAGE TO THIS DEVICE AND OTHER EQUIPMENT, DO NOT INSTALL TO CONTROL A RECEPTACLE, MOTOR, OR TRANSFORMER-OPERATED APPLIANCE OTHER THAN THE APPLICABLE FLUORESCENT LIGHTING."

Not that I haven't indiscriminately disregarded instructions before, I just don't want my house to burn down...or something.

Did you use the bulb for an electrical reason, or so kitty could better see his poop?

Thanks,

G

Old 11-26-10, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Since I had it completely enclosed..it was for them and me. Easier to see back in under the stairs for cleaning and such. Couldn't tell you what the specs were...but it never overheated or even got warm. I thought most of them couldn't handle fluorescents? Course mine was back before the compacts were available.

Old 11-26-10, 08:26 AM
Received 60 Votes on 51 Posts
Perhaps you just have the wrong occupancy sensor. You could try calling Leviton tech support and ask them about your application and get a recommendation for the correct sensor. Tech Line: 1-800-824-3005. Occupancy sensors are commonly used in commercial applications for controlling fluorescent restroom lighting and bath exhaust fans as well, so I know there is a sensor rated for your purpose, but maybe not the one you have. The sensor you have is rated for fluorescent loads with magnetic rapid start ballasts only and not electronic. This leads me to believe you have an older technology sensor. For example, look at this one that has no warnings about motor loads and is rated for either magnetic or electronic ballsts.

ACP15-CBA > Acenti > Occupancy Sensors > Lighting Controls (Box Mounted) > All Leviton Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products