Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Old 4-wire Ballast replaced with a 6-wire, What's with the 2 extra yellow wires?

Old 4-wire Ballast replaced with a 6-wire, What's with the 2 extra yellow wires?

Old 11-26-10, 12:14 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm replacing an existing 4 wire ballast (one side has 1 white, 1 black, the other 1 red, 1 blue wire)

The new ballasts are all 6-wire, 1 red, 1 blue, 1 white, 1 black, 2 yellow.

I hooked it up without the yellow wires but no lights.

Why do I have extra wires and how do I hook this up?

Old 11-26-10, 12:58 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are you sure it is the right ballast for the application? Old ballast T12 or T8, length of tube, number of tubes? What about the schematic on the ballast? Have you tried wiring by it? Where does it say the yellow wires go?

Not a pro, just general questions that may help the pros answer.

Old 11-26-10, 05:12 PM
N
I'm doubting it, but I had no idea that you had to have the exact model number. I just went off of the rating (T12) bulb sizes supported. The new one is an electronic (277v), vs. the old magnetic (120v). I have looked at multiple stores and online, and the best I can figure is no 2 ballasts appear to be the same.

Here is the wiring diagram for the old:

Here are a couple of pictures of the new:

I found some of the same model number on ebay. Is this the only option for ballast replacement?

Old 11-26-10, 05:32 PM
The new one is an electronic (277v), vs. the old magnetic (120v).
You can't replace a 120 volt ballast with a 277 volt ballast. You need to get the correct ballast.

A 277 volt ballast is intended for commercial use where you have 277 volts available. I'd bet you have only 120 volts.

Old 11-26-10, 06:10 PM
N
Yep. I did find some that are 120v or 277v, but none with 4 wires.

I'll go the Ebay route and cross my fingers...

Thanks.

Old 11-26-10, 07:42 PM
That is a standard ballast. Hone Depot, Lowes, or Ace should have it. I'm a big beleiver in Ebay but I wouldn't buy this this from Ebay. My experience has been that Home Depot has a better selection of magnetic ballast then Lowes.

Sometimes it is actually almost as cheap to replace the fixture as the ballast so that is another option to consider. What type of fixture is this, basic or decorative?

Old 11-27-10, 06:27 AM
N
Believe me, I thought this would have been standard too. But I haven't found one yet at Home Depot or Ace, or the internet outside of Ebay. I'll try to find an electrical supply store since I'm out of my element when it comes to electrical stuff, then Lowe's.

It is a standard 8' fixture in a row of fixtures behind a decorative wooden trim piece on the wall just below the ceiling. Normally, I would have just replaced the fixture, but it would be next to impossible to remove this.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-27-10, 09:03 AM
It is a standard 8' fixture in a row of fixtures
I know. I have bought more of them then I can count at Home Depot when I was doing maintenance for a square dance center. But different HD's carry different items. There are far more SKUs then carried in the store. You might look on line.

Old 11-27-10, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You might try phillips advance model #R-2E75-S-TP Mark lll

Old 12-03-10, 12:58 AM
F
According to the picture and the size you describing and with single pin lamps you have there { if that the case } that is slimline and you will need 8 foot 75/60 watt ballast and one of the member in here posted the model number but let me go one step further ask the place where you will get the ballast and ask for electronic ballast it will be far much quiter and may save little more engery I know it cost few Euro extra but it worth it so you don't have to listen to buzzing noise.

Be forewarn some store may not stock the mangatic ballast in this size class due the engery pact requirement so prepare to switch over to electronic ballast

Here one of the ballast number you can use .,,

REL-2P60-S-A

That one of few ballast you can find.

I think they charge about 30 to 45 Euros depending on where you get it.

But make sure you follow the connection diagram carefull to make sure it work very well and let me throw in a nice tip which I do always when I do the ballast changeover I put in new lamps as well so I don't have to worry about old lamps may burn out fast.

Merci,
Marc [SIZE=5][SIZE=5]

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: