Recessed cans in thick plaster ceilings

Old 12-09-10, 07:44 AM
Recessed cans in thick plaster ceilings

I have plaster w/wood lath ceilings covered with 1/2 drywall; so approximately 1 1/4 thick to underside of lath. Installing 5" and 3" cans - for availability and moderate price sake was targeting Halo H5RICAT and H36RTAT housing. The H5RICAT housing specifies 1/2" to 5/8" ceiling thickness for clips which worse I can hack out lath and plaster where clips touch and that should work. The H36RTAT 3" housing does not seem to specify the thickness range.

1. any suggestions for better installation techniques on the H5RICAT? I have read that Progress addresses this situation with a different clipping design but their housing seems to be more expensive - not sure about their trims

2. any knowledge about the Halo 3" housings - Elite seems to carry a 3" housing that would work - but I dont see a lot of distributors and I am not as familar with their brand.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-10, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 6
I can only say that with the Progress P187 6" recessed that the ceiling thickness will not matter. They use a flat bar that drops on top of the ceiling thickness. The price should be reasonable and I think the trim retention and design are better than the ones that use spring tension to hold them tight to the ceiling.