Replacing fluorescent under-cabinet light

Old 12-11-10, 07:58 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing fluorescent under-cabinet light

I have an under-cabinet fluorescent light in my kitchen in which the ballast seems to be shot...so it needs replacement. There is a BX cable coming out of the wall that attaches to it. It is not on a dedicated circuit. I seem to get only about 4 years out of one of these because we leave it on most of the time.

I'd love to replace it with some LED lighting -- either a strip light or else "cup"-style undercabinet lights that I can wrap around the corner and connect also to the cabinets in the other arm of the "L". Is this possible to do this via the hard-wired arrangement that uses the BX cable? Thoughts and advice welcome.

Old 12-11-10, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
The wiring method you use might depend on the lights your choose. MC/AC (BX) would acceptable under a cabinet while Romex would not due to it needing protection. To convert to the new lighting you could terminate the existing feed into a metal box attached to the bottom of the and then make your connections to the new lights there. Or if you new lights have a place to make the wire connections you could make your splice there. (Although I have yet to see an under cabinet LED light with a place to make a splice ) If you can, try to find lights that are linkable. It makes for a much easier install.

Old 12-11-10, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do the conversion to LED
You just need a small 120 to 12v transformer.
the strip led's can be one foot or 1 meter, or more.
you can even get the strips waterproof (warm white or cool white) if you like.
SMD 5050 are a bit brighter than 3528 led strips.
PM me if you have any questions,

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: