Hampton Bay 191-707 wiring help, 2 switches in room

Old 12-20-10, 09:37 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hampton Bay 191-707 wiring help, 2 switches in room

I have purchased a ceiling fan remote to use in my bedroom. I have installed one of these in another room with no issue, however my bedroom is a little different. The remote transmitter has 2 blacks and a green for ground. I understand how to hook that up normally however in my bedroom I have 2 swiches that control the fan. This being the case, I have (1) White and (1) Black wire on one side of the switch and (1) Red wire on the other side of the switch. Is it even possible to hook the trasmitter up when there are 3 wires in the wall? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 12-20-10, 11:50 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I have (1) White and (1) Black wire on one side of the switch and (1) Red wire on the other side of the switch.
You do mean the wall switch, correct? Is this a duplex switch or one of two three way switches? Do you want the remote to control only one function, light or fan) or do you want it to control both functions simultaneously?

Old 12-20-10, 03:26 PM
K
Yes there are (2) 3 way switches in the wall. I assume that is why I have 3 wires going to the wall switch. The fan only has 2 wires going to it and the receiver for the remote control. I want to wire the remote to control the fan and the light like the battery powered one does, but as I said the remote only has 2 black wires and the ground. I hope that makes sense.

Old 12-20-10, 04:32 PM
So at the fan both the blue wire and black wire from the fan is connected to a single black wire in the ceiling box, correct? Are there any other wires coming into the ceiling box besides a black and white wire?

If there are no other wires in the ceiling box the fan black and blue conect to one of the remotes black wires and the other remote black to the black coming into the box. White to white wire nutted together.

Of course the switch must remain on for this to work.

Old 12-20-10, 08:09 PM
K
I think I am confusing you. The fan is already wired up and working from a battery powered remote control. The fan is wired to the receiver white (from ceiling box) to white (to receiver), black (from ceiling box) to black (to receiver). Then the three wires from the fan are connected to the black, white and blue of the receiver. I am trying to eliminate the battery powered remote and replace it with a remote that is supposed to replace the wall switch. This remote/wall switch is what I am trying to connect to the 3 wires that are connected to the current 3 way switch in the wall. However as I said the remote that replaces the switch only has 2 black wires and a ground. The 3 way switch has wht, black and red. Here is what it looks like:

Amazon.com: Hampton Bay Universal Wall Mount Remote Control 191-707: Home Improvement

Last edited by ray2047; 12-20-10 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Fix link.
Old 12-21-10, 08:37 AM
You need a remote designed for a system with 3-way switches. What you have isn't.

Old 12-21-10, 09:47 PM
K
OK I will look for a different remote, do you possibly know some manufacturer that might make one? Thanks.

Last edited by kalebson; 12-21-10 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 10:12 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
AFAIK.,

The hamtion Bay ceiling fan remote control you describing they do not come in 3 way but you can check it out other wise I will give you a trick to deal with it.

Merci,
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: