Problem with bathroom fan

Old 12-21-10, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with bathroom fan

I am trying to install a new bathroom exhaust fan however I am having a difficult time getting power to it. I ran the fan wiring down the the light switch box that controls the 1 light fixture in the room. The problem is that it is an end of the circuit switch (only 1 wire going into the box from the light fixture). Is there a way to pull power from this to run the fan either on the same switch or a second switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-10, 10:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
only 1 wire going into the box from the light fixture)
If there is actually two wires plus ground in a single cable you have a switch loop. There is no neutral so it won't work.

One way to do this is to replace the 2-conductor cable from the light to the switch with a 3-conductor cable. If you have an unfinished attic above this will probably be no harder then running the two conductor from the fan to the switch..

Old 12-21-10, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well yes...I have one cable running into the box, which does not contain a ground. Is there another option besides re-running wire, as the upper level of the house is finished?

Old 12-21-10, 11:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by stlind View Post
Well yes...I have one cable running into the box, which does not contain a ground. Is there another option besides re-running wire, as the upper level of the house is finished?
You could come off a receptacle if it is grounded but ungrounded circuits can't be extended. How did you get the fan cable to the switch? How are you venting the fan if the area above is finished?