Fuse for floor lamp dimmer

Old 12-24-10, 12:13 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fuse for floor lamp dimmer

I have a floor lamp that uses a regular incandescent bulb. In line with the cord is a box with a slider dimmer switch. The lamp stopped working and I found a fuse inside of the box. I'm having trouble locating a replacement for it. It appears to be ceramic. 2 cm long by 0.5 cm in diameter. Around one end it says 13.15A H 250V. The other end has some symbols on it. Along the center is says Omega, Bussmann, and has some colored stripes - blue, red, brown, and orange. The blue stripe is thicker than the rest. Any idea where I can find a replacement? If I can't find this exact fuse, can I use a lower amperage? Also how do I know if it is fast or slow blow? Thanks.

Old 12-24-10, 06:13 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums. Ceramic fuses are time delay and the ceramic won't shatter like glass.

13+ amps seems like serious overkill for a lamp, though. Inline lamp dimmers are typically rated at 300 watts, which would translate to a 3 amp fuse. You can try any fuse that will fit. If you replace it with glass, cover it before you test it in case it shatters.

The bigger question is, why did the fuse blow in the first place? To be safe, I would replace the dimmer. They're only $10 or so and are widely available at the big box stores.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: