Wiring an outlet into an end-of-circuit switch loop

Old 01-02-11, 10:15 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring an outlet into an end-of-circuit switch loop

I am attempting to wire a GFCI into an end-of-circuit switch loop. I know it is an end-of-circuit as I only have 1 feed coming into the box (normal romax with 1black,1white,ground). I have tried a few different combinations of wiring and the best I can get is the outlet to be "ON" with the switch is "OFF". Once I turn the swith "ON" power to the oulet turns "OFF". Can someone help me wire this correctly? I want either the outlet to be constantly powered or at least "ON" when the light switch is "ON". Thank you! Using a Levition outlet.

Old 01-02-11, 11:59 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I am attempting to wire a GFCI into an end-of-circuit switch loop. I know it is an end-of-circuit as I only have 1 feed coming into the box (normal romax with 1black,1white,ground)
You can't connect a receptacle to a 2-conductor switch loop. There is no neutral. If the black and white are connected to the switch the white is not a neutral. You need to find another source of power or replace the 2-conductor switch loop cable with a 3-conductor cable.

Tech note: Proper procedure when this circuit was run was to recolor the white wire black or red or some other color except green or gray but that often isn't done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: