Help! Kitchen Light Fixture Smoking!

Old 01-14-11, 04:09 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Kitchen Light Fixture Smoking!

Hello, I have a kitchen ceiling light fixture that has 4 flourescent 4ft bulbs in it. I noticed that on one end of the fixture it started smoking. Now it seems like at least one if not all of the bulbs are flickering. I guess I should also mention it's raining outside although I see no visible indication of water and there is a second floor above the kitchen.

Is there a short or is it just a bad bulb or socket? Oh, also has a plastic burning smell, although the fixture is metal.

Old 01-14-11, 04:44 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Probably the ballast. Turn off the breaker to the light, remove the bulbs, and remove the cover over the ballast.

First look for any burned wires in the fixture then look at the ballast. Does it look like there is tar running out of it? If you don't see anything obvious turn the breaker on then with the cover still off and no bulbs turn it on. Do you see where the smoke is coming from? If not leave it on a few minutes, then turn off and immediately but with care touch the ballast with the back of your finger. Is it hot or very hot?

Old 01-14-11, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In my house, that fixture would be gone. Why take a chance on an $80 fixture? Out with the old and in with the new...........immediately.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: