basement workbench lighiting ideas needed

Old 01-18-11, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement workbench lighiting ideas needed

i am building a 12 foot workbench against a wall in my basement, standard 8 foot ceilings. i am looking for info on lighting such as type of bulbs, housing and placement of fixtures and such.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-11, 02:04 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Work Bench Lighting

Does the area directly above the work bench have a finished ceiling?

I would use 3 2-bulb florescent fixtures: divide the work bench into 3 equal sections and center a light fixture above each section.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your project.

Old 01-19-11, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Big fluorescents are what I'd do as well

Old 01-19-11, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I third that. You could wire in pull string switches if you don't really need all the light all the time. Depending on your usage...a worklight on an articulated arm (either with or without a magnifier) could be handy.

Old 01-19-11, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
has anyone used LED or CFL bulbs for a work space i was thinking recessed lighting on a dimmer just never used these new bulbs. i plan on using the bech for working on computers and xboxs and other electronic projects. i find my present workspace lighting stinks i am always taking lamps from other parts of the house to help but the just get in the way. i have open joist ceilings so i am open to all ideas and my electrical background will allow me to make it happen

Old 01-20-11, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
I use CFLs a lot but my only LED experience is some christmas light

I think fluorescent tubes are going to be a better approach than CFLs, as you're going to want a lot of light and it would take many CFLs to provide it

Old 01-20-11, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I have used the new LED kits (lamp and trim ring) for 6" cans found at big orange and can say they are VERY nice. Spendy though at $50 a pop. They still only provide aprox 65 watts of light per lamp.

However, with the work you are doing I would also suggest florescent lights with 4100K or whiter lamps. You could use some two lamp recessed fixtures which recess into your joist bay. I just did this for a customers shop and it worked out very well. Just attach some 2x2's to the joist and use that to hook the fixture to. They also can be found at big orange.

Old 01-21-11, 06:38 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Light Fixtures

I would orient the tubes parallel to the long dimension of the work bench.

Old 01-21-11, 03:38 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Mr.fios thread

Having done electronic work for many years on many work benches, placement of the lights is important. Above your work surface and behind you on each side will illuminate most of what you want to see. 4,100 K or brighter as Tolyn suggested, plus a worklight on an articulated arm as GG stated are important features. My last shop, I used 5,000K daylight T-8 lamps and the brightness was incredible. If you haven't seen a 5,000K light, pick one up and try it first, they are impressive.

Bud