need to modify a chandelier wiring and chain length

Old 01-22-11, 09:29 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need to modify a chandelier wiring and chain length

I am replacing an existing foyer light with one that I have purchased. However, it does not have long enough wire/chain to hang at the desired height in my 2 story foyer ceiling. What suggestions do you have? Do I add wire/chain? Do I re-wire light fixture to make sure the wire/chain is long enough and safe? How difficult is it to re-wire the chandelier?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-11, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You'll have to disassemble it somewhat...but you should be able to add chain and replace the wire with a longer section. You'll need to get into the area where the feed wire is actually connected to the lamp sockets...somewhere in the top. Both wire and chain should be available at any home center...unless the chain is a really odd color. Mostly they have satin nickle, antique brass and bright brass...maybe black...

Many of these have a bare braided wire that is used for a safety ground...that might be harder to find...but I've used "solder wicking" to replace it a time or 2.

Old 01-22-11, 10:37 AM
B
thx. the top of the light fixture has a "loop" that looks like it should be able to unscrew it from the fixture...it runs thru the center of the fixture to the base where there is a nut at the bottom and that easily comes off...the top one will take a little muscle it seems. But once I am in there, should be able to undo the current wiring and replace? the chain color should not be an issue...it does have a ground wire attached now...and then the regular wiring. Once I get the top unscrewed to expose the socket, I should be able to figure it out.

Old 12-22-11, 12:53 AM
J
hello everyone

The style of wiring that you're looking for is known as sealed wiring. It's also imperative to get an outdoor chandelier or a lamp with a rubber switch, as this protects the unit from rain and other weather conditions.

Old 12-22-11, 07:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jessica0125 View Post
The style of wiring that you're looking for is known as sealed wiring. It's also imperative to get an outdoor chandelier or a lamp with a rubber switch, as this protects the unit from rain and other weather conditions.
She said it was in a foyer so outside wiring is not needed.