Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Condensation build up in shower is causing bulbs in recessed lighting to crack!

Condensation build up in shower is causing bulbs in recessed lighting to crack!

Old 01-28-11, 06:56 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Condensation build up in shower is causing bulbs in recessed lighting to crack!

We just remodeled our bathroom and installed two 4 inch cans with glass covers in the shower. At first I noticed a lot of water droplets hanging on the ceiling around the lights. After one month, one of the light bulbs went out and then the other one went out shortly thereafter. Upon pulling the covers off and inspecting the bulbs, we noticed they both cracked! Apparently, it gets so humid in the bathroom and the bulbs heat up so much that they crack. The problem is that condensation is getting in the cans. Shouldn't the trim act like a seal? Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Old 01-28-11, 08:46 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Did you use shower rated trim?

Old 01-29-11, 08:19 AM
A
Yes, that is what the packaging said when we bought the trim.

Old 01-29-11, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Temperature differences like from a cold attic may be making this problem worse. Are the fixtures IC rated? Are they air-tight rated? What are the conditions above the shower; second floor attic etc.

Old 01-29-11, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Do you use the bathroom exhaust fan? I did not put one in because I have a window, but dont open it in the winter so lots o steam. I dont have that problem with my one can over the shower. My can is sealed pretty good.

Take a pic?

Mike NJ

Old 01-30-11, 05:34 PM
A
Pcboss: the fixtures are IC rated. Not sure if they are air tight rated. Above them is the attic which is not insulated.

Lawrosa: we have an exhaust fan that we use at all times. I don't have a pic available right now.

Here's an update: looks like the seal inside the trim is defective. We are going to try and replace those and see what happens. If anyone has any other suggestions. I'm open to them. Thanks everyone for your responses so far

Old 02-01-11, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Cold unconditioned air above the fixture will definitely make the housing cold and will lead to condensation. You need to get the attic insulated to prevent the heat loss in winter and gain in the summer. This will help with your energy bills once you get this done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: