Wiring issues when installing a chandelier

Old 01-30-11, 08:17 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring issues when installing a chandelier

I am trying to install a new chandelier myself (very first time) and the wires that comes with the fixture does not seem to conform to what I have learned from various websites so far.
The wires from my ceiling box consists of two black wires, two white wires and one red wire.
The chandelier wires are one beige/semi-transparent cable with two wires and one bare (ground?) wire.
I ASSUME I should connect one of the two chandelier wires from the cable with the two black wires and the other with the two white wires.
I believe I should also connect the bare ground wire to the screw on the metal bar in the ceiling box.
I am not sure what to do with the ceiling red wire or what it is for.
Can someone confirm/correct what I plan on doing and enlighten(!) me on the purpose of the red wire.
Thanks.
George

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-11, 09:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! I am going to ask a redundant question, but how were the wires hooked up before you took the old fixture down? Was the old fixture a ceiling fan? Do you have two switches at the wall? Is the current turned off to the fixture? OK three questions. Wiring from the chandelier is as follows: bare wire to the cross bar and to the bare wire from the ceiling box....wire with ribs on it to your neutral....plain wire to your hot wire. NOW, you need to determine which wires are which. Do you have a non contact voltage detector? You will need to separate all the wires in the ceiling box so they aren't close to anything metal or to each other, cap them off and restore power to the box. With a detector, determine which one is hot. Mark the cap with a marker. Remove the power again. Now, we'll wait on you to do the detective work and let us know about the switch and how the wires were originally.

Old 01-30-11, 09:53 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for such prompt response. To answer your questions: 1. The previous owner of my new home took the dining room chandelier with them. So I did not get the chance to remove any old fixtures. 2. There is only one switch on the wall. 3. The two wires from the chandelier, excluding the bare wire, are, to me, exactly the same. Both plain and smooth. Neither with ribs. I took some photos of the wires and the ceiling box but it seems I cannot attach my jpg images to this response and I need to upload them somewhere else first before I can show you.
Any suggestions?

Old 01-30-11, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Old 01-30-11, 03:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Also tell us the wiring in the switch box.